Harvard Tops Brown in Four Sets

By B. Marjorie Gullick, Crimson Staff Writer

Despite getting off to a slow start in its Ivy League season, the Harvard women’s volleyball team (9-5, 2-2 Ivy) continues to gain momentum in the Ancient Eight after earning its second conference win over Brown (5-10, 1-3) Friday night.

The victory came on the heels of a win over Penn last weekend and gives the Crimson a two-game winning streak entering its match Saturday against Yale. Harvard took the Bears in four games, winning 25-22, 25-17, 17-25, and 25-22.

The Crimson controlled the match from the beginning, taking the first two sets with ease. The only scare came in the first frame, when Brown pulled within one, 23-22, late in the game. However, a Bears service error and a kill by freshman Kristen Casey ensured the Harvard victory and gave the Crimson a one-game cushion.

Harvard took the second set but dropped the third following an eight point run by Brown, who took the set handily, 25-17.

But the loss did not sap the resolve of the Crimson, which responded with a dominant performance in the fourth and final game. Harvard garnered the lead at 9-8 in the set and never relinquished it, riding its momentum to a 25-22 win and 3-1 match victory.

“We went into the match with the simple goal of playing in our system no matter what was going on Brown’s side of the net,” sophomore Natalie Doyle said. “This must was a must-win.”

Doyle and Casey led the offensive effort with 40 assists and 21 kills, respectively. The latter number marked a new career-high for Casey. Co-captain Christine Wu bolstered the defense with 26 digs, giving her 307 digs on the season.

The Crimson faces the Bulldogs at 5 pm on Saturday night.

-Check thecrimson.com for updates.

Women's Volleyball