Chicago Mayor Richard Daley Named IOP Visiting Fellow

By Jared T. Lucky, Contributing Writer

Richard M. Daley, the longest serving mayor in Chicago history, will come to Harvard later this month as a visiting fellow at the Institute of Politics, according to an IOP press release.

While at Harvard, Daley will focus on having informal discussions with students about the realities of a career in public policy, IOP Director Trey Grayson ’94 said.

“One of the things we love to do is to bring elected officials to campus,” said Grayson. “Some things worked [during Daley’s tenure as mayor], other things didn’t. We want to hear about both.”

Daley, who served as mayor of Chicago from 1989 to 2011, weathered a 2005 corruption scandal surrounding his administration and presided over city revitalizations like the construction of Millennium Park in downtown Chicago.

Daley did not seek re-election in 2010 and was succeeded by former Obama Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel earlier this year.

As a visiting fellow, Daley will meet with student groups, lead discussion sessions, and participate in public policy classes, according to the press release.

“I have always enjoyed sharing my experiences in public service with others because I believe that collaboration is key to the success of any city,” Daley wrote in an email. “I look forward to the exchange of ideas and a candid discussion.”

Grayson said that the IOP was especially interested in Daley because of its upcoming event “Seminar on Transition and Leadership for Newly-Elected Mayors.” Mayors from around the country will attend the event.

The IOP first contacted Daley about speaking at the conference in the summer.

“I ... look forward to contributing to the ongoing discussion about issues facing cities in the 21st century in any way that I can,” Daley wrote in an email.

In spite of some minor scheduling difficulties, Daley was happy to come to Harvard, Grayson said.

“He was definitely flattered and definitely interested,” he said.

Grayson said he hopes Daley will come back to the IOP after his fellowship this fall, and perhaps even help recruit other visiting fellows for future talks.

“We can call on him when we need him, and vice-a-versa,” he said.

IOP