Marist Invitational Provides Two Losses

By Darren McLeod, Contributing Writer

This past weekend the Harvard women’s water polo squad carried its offensive arsenal to Poughkeepsie, N.Y., for the Marist Invitational, which pitted the team against five different opponents over the span of three days.

The Crimson came out strong on Saturday, remaining unbeaten after defeating Siena, 19-6, and Boston University, 19-2.

Harvard received its first loss of the season at the hands of host team Marist in a narrow 13-10 defeat on Sunday, despite starting out the day with a victory over the Dollard Water Polo Club (DDO).

The road trip closed with a loss to now-No. 15 Hartwick College.

HARTWICK 20, HARVARD 5

The Crimson faltered in its final and most important matchup of the weekend when it entered the pool to face the Hawks on Sunday.

Hartwick came out strong, capturing an early 7-0 lead. Although the Crimson was able to match the Hawks goal for goal in the second period, the fatigue of a five-game weekend hit Harvard in the second half.

Hartwick was the first team this season to hold the Crimson offense to a single-digit score.

The Hawks’ pool caused Harvard some trouble, due to the fact that it was shallow-deep, meaning at times the players were standing on the bottom of the pool.

“It’s almost like playing on a 70-yard football field or an eight-foot rim in basketball,” junior co-captain Devan Kennifer said. “Though it’s not an excuse for the loss, we will work to do better when we play them again on April 2.”

MARIST 13, HARVARD 10

In its closest match of the season, Harvard battled back in the fourth quarter but came up short in its match against the Red Foxes, dropping its first match of the season.

“In the middle of the third quarter, they got some momentum and we let their home crowd into the game,” Crimson coach Ted Minnis said. “We almost tied the game [at 10 goals apiece] with 1:20 left, but they pulled away in the end.”

Harvard was buoyed by strong defensive showings from both Kennifer and junior goalkeeper Laurel McCarthy, who came up big with 10 saves.

Kennifer had yet another standout performance on both ends of the pool, pitching in five steals and five goals.

HARVARD 18, DDO 6

The Crimson began its second day of play in the Marist Invitational against DDO and showed off its offensive talents in defeating yet another team by double digits.

The Crimson’s defense was also a solid part of its success. Sophomore attacker Aisha Price, who contributed seven steals, and junior attacker Shannon Purcell, who also contributed four steals, made life very difficult for DDO

Freshman attacker Shayna Price led the way with seven goals and two assists.

“I had a lot of really good opportunities and was set up well by my teammates. It was definitely a team effort,” the younger Price said.

HARVARD 19, BOSTON UNIVERSITY 2

In its second match of the weekend, the Crimson defeated local rival Boston University’s club team with a balanced offensive attack, receiving scoring contributions from 10 different players.

Shayna Price, junior attacker Monica Zdrojewski, and sophomore two-meter guard Elise Molnar led the way with three goals each.

“We have talented players top to bottom who play the system well and have been able to put the ball in the back of the net,” Minnis said.

HARVARD 19, SIENA 6

The Crimson started the weekend out strong with a powerful showing in an early-morning tournament debut.

Harvard jump started its three-day campaign, quickly capturing an 8-2 lead in the first quarter.

Kennifer played well on both sides of the ball, supplying four goals and four steals.

After their weekend success, Minnis and his team expect a lot of support and a win when they return to Blodgett Pool to face Brown tomorrow.

Women's Water Polo