Pres. Faust To Join Commission

By Tara W. Merrigan and Zoe A. Y. Weinberg, Crimson Staff Writers

University President Drew G. Faust will join a newly formed American Academy of Arts and Sciences commission that aims to examine and improve teaching and research in the social sciences and humanities, the Academy announced last week.

The commission was formed at the request of several Republican and Democratic members of Congress who charged the Academy with examining how the nation can bolster scholarship and education in the humanities and social sciences through the efforts of Congress, state governments, universities, non-profits, and schools.

“As our world becomes more interconnected, building a solid foundation in the humanities is of vital national importance,” said North Carolina Representative David E. Price, who helped draft the Congressional request, in a press release.

The Commission’s membership includes scholars in the humanities and social science disciplines, scientists, leading business leaders, philanthropists, and other professionals.

Faust will serve alongside Harvard Law School Professor Annette Gordon-Reed, philanthropist Carl H. Pforzheimer III ’58, former Supreme Court Justice David H. Souter ’61, artist Chuck Close, movie producer George Lucas, and actor John Lithgow ’67.

A national assessment of the humanities and social sciences has not been conducted in 30 years since the 1980 report of the Rockefeller Commission on the Humanities.

Duke University President and Commission Co-Chair Richard H. Brodhead emphasized the importance of the humanities and social sciences to the United States’ future prosperity.

“The humanities and social sciences provide the intellectual framework for the nation’s economic, political, and governing institutions,” said Brodhead in a press release.

The Commission plans to complete its assessment over the next 18 to 24 months, according to the press release.

Faust could not be reached for comment yesterday.

—Staff writer Tara W. Merrigan can be reached at tmerrigan@college.harvard.edu.                                                             —Staff writer Zoe A. Y. Weinberg can be reached at zoe.weinberg@college.harvard.edu.

CollegeCentral AdministrationFAS