Crimson Drops Game One to Bryant, Game Two Called

Co-captain Ellen Macadam, shown here in earlier action, went 2-for-3 in the second game of Harvard’s doubleheader against the Bryant Bulldogs, but the game was called due to darkness in the fifth inning. The second baseman leads the Crimson with a .429 batting average on the season.
By Alexander Koenig, Contributing Writer

As the sun went down in Rhode Island, the Harvard softball team (9-9) watched their chance for redemption set with it. After falling to Bryant (6-11), 6-3, in the first game of a double header, the Crimson bounced back with a commanding 7-0 lead in game two.

But the umpire was forced to call the second game before its completion, due to darkness and a lack of field lighting. Game two—which likely would have resulted in a Crimson victory—will not appear on either team’s record.

HARVARD 7, BRYANT 0

A united effort at the plate and strong pitching from freshman Laura Ricciardone put Harvard up by seven before the game was called in the top of the fifth.

“It’s just bad luck,” Crimson coach Jenny Allard said. “The first game took too long and ate away at the time for the second game. It’s too bad we didn’t get it in.”

Ricciardone only gave up three hits in four innings, giving Harvard’s offense some comfort at the plate.

Co-captain and second baseman Ellen Macadam went 2-for-3, driving in a run and scoring one herself, to continue a stellar season at the plate. Macadam is currently batting .429 on the year.

“Ellen has been on fire lately,” junior ace Rachel Brown said. “She’s an anchor in that leadoff hitting position. We love having her in that role.”

Sophomore lefty Stephanie Regan went 1-2 and knocked in two more runs during the Crimson scoring run. Junior infielder Whitney Shaw had another RBI on the day as Harvard scored three more unearned runs on 12 hits in the light-shortened game.

Before the game was called, the Crimson had runners on first and second with no outs, looking to extend its already sizable advantage.

The matchup will not count towards the teams’ official records.

BRYANT 6, HARVARD 3

In the first game of yesterday’s double-header, Harvard fell to the hosting Bulldogs, despite Brown’s game-high 11 strikeouts.

“It was definitely a tough loss,” Brown said. “Today had to be a turning point for our season, and personally I wasn’t that sharp. We didn’t have our typical energy.”

The Crimson opened the game leaving two runners on base—a recurring theme in the match—when junior Mari Zumbro struck out swinging to end the top of the first. The scoring started on a bases- loaded walk with two outs in the bottom half of the first, putting Bryant up 1-0.

“Not enough effort at the plate,” Allard said. “We’ve not had enough focus with runners in scoring position. It’s not bad luck; it’s a lack of focus.”

The second inning was scoreless, as Brown struck out the side, and Harvard entered the third frame down a run.

Macadam made it home on a throwing error to tie the game in the third, when the Bulldogs’ catcher tried to catch Shaw stealing second.

Macadam struck again in the top of the fourth, putting the Crimson ahead, 2-1, on an RBI single to bring freshman Jackie Cooley in for the run. But Harvard missed an opportunity to extend its lead, as it left the bases loaded on a strike-out by Shaw.

Bryant responded with a two-run spree in the bottom of the fourth to put them up for good.

Brown returned to form, recording her 11th strikeout to enter the fifth inning with Harvard down 3-2.

Brown’s day would end in the bottom of the sixth as Bryant freshman Aubrey Mable hit a three-run homer, forcing Ricciardone to come in for relief.

Down 6-2, Crimson freshman Alli Scott drove in a run on a single in the final frame, but it was to no avail, as Harvard left two runners on to finish the game.

“It was really a humbling day,” Brown said. “If we don’t bring our A-game, anything can happen. We’ll live and learn.”

Softball