Harvard Vies for CSA Titles

Harvard sophomore Laura Gemmell will attempt to defend her national individual title this weekend at the CSA National Individual Championships. Gemmell has never lost a match in a Crimson uniform.
By Emily Rutter, Contributing Writer

Harvard squash looks to repeat its sweep of the men’s and women’s national individual titles at the Collegiate Squash Association (CSA) Individual Championships this weekend at Dartmouth College.

The Crimson women’s team finished up its regular season two weeks ago, coming away from the CSA Team Championships ranked No. 2 after losing to No. 1 Yale in the finals.

The men’s team hosted the tournament last weekend, earning fifth place while Trinity claimed the title for the 13th straight year.

As the regular reason ends, there is one last tournament for individuals that qualify and want to participate: the CSA’s Individual Championships.

The tournament allows nine players from a single team to compete for the individual title. The Harvard men’s and women’s teams both have enough points for everyone to qualify for the tournament, but not everyone will compete due to injury or illness.

“It’s up to the individual whether they want to play or not,” said first-year Harvard coach Mike Way. “Because both sides are so strong, [everyone is] eligible to play if they so wish.”

The top eight on the men’s side and the top seven on the women’s side have decided to compete.

Last year, the Crimson came away with both the men’s and women’s Individual Championship titles, as Colin West ’10 won for the men and sophomore Laura Gemmell took home the women’s title.

Gemmell will be returning this year as the No. 1 seed and still undefeated in her college career.

“Laura will absolutely be intending to win the tournament,” Way said.

On the men’s side, look for freshman Gary Power who is Harvard’s highest seed for the tournament. Power will be looking to make the semifinals or better.

“Maybe finals, if I play really well,” Power said.

In the tournament, each player can play up to five rounds. The weekend is divided into two draws, A and B. The top 32 seeded players are in the A draw, and the remaining players who qualified and want to participate are placed in the B draw.

“It’s gonna be really tough,” captain Alisha Mashruwala said. “The A draw is all of the top seeds. You can play people you’ve never played before. You’re trying to play your best squash, see what you’ve got, and try to compete.”

“If you don’t [play against] a top seed early, then you can move your way through [the tournament],” Way added.

If players meet the No. 1 seed in the first or second round, it is more difficult to get into the later stages of the tournament.

Both teams took some time off from training after team nationals, but they are beginning training again to keep their fitness up and to have a good performance.

“I think it goes without saying that you’ve got to be bloody fit and have a lot of belief,” Way said. “If you’ve got the game and you’ve got the fitness, then it’s about where you are on the day mentally.”

Different players have different expectations. Mashruwala hopes to make it into the top ten players, which are named the All-Americans.

Gemmell has her eye on the prize and expects to meet the same opponent in the finals as last year, then-junior Pamela Hathway of Trinity.

“It was really exciting to win it last year as a freshman,” Gemmell said. “This year, I know exactly who the competition is. Having that experience last year has prepared me more for this year, and I’m really excited.”

Coach Way thinks the individuals slotted to compete are prepared, but emphasizes the importance of the mental side of play.

“Getting your head into the fighting spirit is a given [for success],” he said.

The Crimson players’ individual rankings certainly stand for themselves. Power and Gemmell look to be the leaders as they enter the tournament, but other players, both from Harvard and other schools, are looking to compete and play their best squash, and hopefully bring home the titles.

“When it comes to individual Nationals, you’re still representing Harvard,” Power said. “Of course, you are hoping to get the best for yourself, but you also want to win for Harvard.”

Men's SquashWomen's Squash