Stevens, Son of Hockey Star, Excels at Lacrosse

Sophomore midfielder Ryan Stevens is the son of NHL Hall of Famer Scott Stevens, who was famous during his playing days for his bone-jarring body checks. But Ryan lost interest in hockey at a young age and fell in love with lacrosse, a decision his father supported. That move has paid off, as Stevens is currently fourth on the team with 13 goals in 2011.
By Scott A. Sherman, Crimson Staff Writer

In a contest under the lights at Harvard Stadium on a chilly Tuesday evening two weeks ago, University of Massachusetts goalkeeper Tim McCormack picks up a ground ball, and, sensing he has an open field in front of him, begins to run.

He hits midfield—much farther out than the typical goalie’s domain—when suddenly, BOOM!

McCormack is blindsided by a massive hit he never saw coming.

The shot was delivered by Harvard sophomore midfielder Ryan Stevens, whose talent for decking an opponent almost seemed innate.

In fact, it is.

Ryan is the son of NHL Hall of Famer Scott Stevens, whose bone-jarring body checks gave him a reputation as one of the league’s hardest hitters during his career.

The defenseman played 22 seasons in the NHL from 1982-2004, most notably for the New Jersey Devils, whom he captained to three Stanley Cups in nine seasons. The 2000 Conn Smythe Trophy winner for Playoff MVP, Stevens finished his career­­—which also featured stints with the Washington Capitals and St. Louis Blues—with the most games ever played by an NHL defenseman, during which time he never had a negative plus/minus.

Ryan is the middle child of three in the Stevens family. Growing up with an NHL superstar for a father, he says, had its benefits and downsides.

“Obviously it was different,” Ryan says. “Anywhere we went [my dad] would be recognized. All my friends knew who he was. That definitely changes the way people act towards you, the way you make friends–you have to make sure your friends actually like you for you.”

As a ten-year-old in 2000, Ryan had the chance to celebrate the Devils’ second Stanley Cup with the squad, an experience Scott remembers sharing with his son.

“It was nice, he was part of the celebration,” the elder Stevens says. “It was a pretty cool memory for him to be there for that, and to be old enough to remember it.”

But it was around that point that Ryan’s interests started to move away from the sport for which his father was so well-known.

“I started off playing hockey when I was really young, three or four,” Ryan says. “I played everything pretty much. I think I was nine or 10 when I told my parents that I didn’t want to play hockey anymore, that I wanted to play other sports and that lacrosse was going to be my sport.”

One of the reasons for his decision stemmed from expectations that he would be able to fill his dad’s big shoes.

“There was a lot of pressure to be good, when I just wanted to play and have fun at that point,” Ryan explains. “I remember I’d be an eight-year-old, and everyone would be looking at me, expecting me to be great. It was a lot of attention at a young age.”

Despite his love for hockey, Scott accepted his son’s decision to move away from the sport without complaint.

“He was very supportive,” Ryan says. “I pretty much explained that [hockey] was kind of his thing...He doesn’t care what I play. As long as I’m playing sports and competing, he loves to watch me play.”

“I was thrilled,” Scott adds. “I think [lacrosse] is a great game. I played a little bit of lacrosse when I was a kid. It’s very popular on the East Coast, so it was a good fit for him.”

But as a father, it was at times difficult for Scott to have his kids grow up while he would be away with the team.

“It was a little tougher, but my wife did a great job,” he says. “There’s no question you miss some things while you’re playing on the road, but I’m fortunate to be around more now when Ryan’s in college playing lacrosse. I’m able to see all or most of his games, which is nice.”

And it is where Ryan plays that makes Scott most proud. Ryan, a two-time letterwinner in high school, says his dad was especially thrilled when he got into Harvard.

“[My dad] pretty much is totally focused on athletics,” Ryan says. “He never did well in school, but it was always something he wanted me to focus on. He didn’t want me to put all my attention on being a good athlete. Me going to Harvard for athletics and academics met [my parents’] goals for me; [my dad] said it was one of his proudest moments.”

In fact, it is often Ryan’s efforts in the classroom that Scott has most admired.

“I’m proud of the way he works hard at school,” Scott says. “That’s probably what I’m most proud of—his work ethic and getting the grades he gets with hard work.”

Ryan has been equally successful on the field. After missing much of his freshman year with a fractured back, the midfielder has emerged as one of Harvard’s most dangerous offensive threats this season. The sophomore currently ranks fourth on the team with 13 goals and scored a career-high four times against No. 5 Cornell last weekend.

“It’s been awesome so far,” Ryan says. “I’m just trying to have fun because I’ve gotten injured in the past, [so] I’m enjoying the time I’ve been able to be on the field competing in games, and it’s going well.”

As a former athlete himself, Scott has taught his son a lot about competition.

“He put some time in this summer working out and did a lot of training,” the thirteen-time all-star says. “[So I’ve told him] to just put time in, work at the game, and try to be the best you can be.”

Ryan has taken the advice to heart.

“[He’s taught me to] lead by example, on and off the field,” the midfielder concurs. “That extends to all facets of playing...He was a terrific role model in terms of doing the right things to succeed athletically...He would always stop at nothing, he’d do whatever it took to improve his chances and show the team he was doing everything in his power to ensure success. So I really looked up to that; I’ve tried to mold my work ethic and leadership off of that.”

But it’s not just Scott’s dedicated mentality that has influenced Ryan, who says he has taken up facets of his dad’s hard-hitting style as well.

“I was never really the biggest kid growing up, but recently I’ve kind of filled out a bit,” Ryan says. “I definitely look towards his game to help me with my own, such as playing more physically. Especially playing for Harvard this year, we don’t get a lot of respect as athletes and competitors...so we’re essentially trying to break the mold that we’re not a physical team.”

To help break that stereotype, Ryan couldn’t have a better mentor to look up to.

And as the sophomore has gotten more physical, his talent has begun to shine through as well.

As the saying goes, like father, like son.

—Staff writer Scott A. Sherman can be reached at ssherman13@college.harvard.edu.

FeaturesMen's Lacrosse