Law School Appoints Famous Scholar

By Caroline M. McKay, Crimson Staff Writer

Richard J. Lazarus, a Supreme Court practitioner and a leading scholar on environmental law, has been appointed as Professor of Law at Harvard Law School.

Lazarus is not a stranger to the Law School. In addition to being a former student, he’s guest taught for full semesters in the past.

Elizabeth B. Forsyth, a third year at the Law School and a managing editor of the Environmental Law Review, took a course on environmental theory, law, and applications taught by Lazarus during January Term her second year. Lazarus was a visiting professor at the time.

“[The appointment] is a coup for the Environmental Law Program,” Forsyth said, explaining that the addition of Lazarus will really strengthen the program.

“It’s Harvard—you can never have too many great professors,” Forsyth added.

Jody Freeman, a professor at the Law School and the faculty director of the Environmental Law Program, said that she was very excited about the appointment. Explaining Lazarus’ extensive experience in the field of environmental law, she pointed to his exceptional job heading up President Obama’s National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling.

She called Lazarus the lawyer in the country with the most extensive knowledge of environmental law cases, and said that Lazarus’ first-hand experience in practice would strengthen the already strong program.

Despite his celebrity status in the environmental law community, Forsyth said that Lazarus is committed to reaching out to his students.

“The unique thing about Professor Lazarus is that he’s very open to mentoring his students,” Forsyth said, adding that Lazarus made himself much more available than other professors at the Law School, even hosting several dinners during the course of the three-week term. “He’s gregarious, he’s outgoing, he’s warm personally, and he’s funny—his course evaluations were the highest I’ve ever seen.”

Forsyth was one of 58 students who signed a letter to Lazarus urging him to come to the Law School. Forsyth said that the outpouring of student support is a testament to Lazarus’ popularity.

“Those of us who have had you as a professor know you as an excellent teacher, scholar, and mentor who would make a terrific addition to the Harvard faculty. Those of us who have not had the chance to take your classes are eager for the chance,” the letter read. “We know that the decision to come will be based on many factors, student support being perhaps only a small part. But, on the chance it makes a difference in your decision, we want you to come.”

—Staff writer Caroline M. McKay can be reached at carolinemckay@college.harvard.edu.

Harvard Law SchoolGreen