Bain Founder Shares Insights

By Akua F. Abu, Contributing Writer

Building up the skills for success in business is like getting married, according to serial entrepreneur George B. Bennett. “If you don’t date, it’s hard,” he said with a laugh.

Bennett, who has founded many companies—including consulting firm Bain & Company—integrated amusing anecdotes and creative analogies into leadership recommendations for the students gathered in Kirkland JCR last night.

Bennett shared what he considered to be the most important principles in business, adding that many of them have remained constant over time, applying to both his childhood lemonade stands as well as his current multimillion dollar entrepreneurship initiatives.

He emphasized the importance of respect and dignity in interpersonal relationships and the value of a good mentor.

“Assume everything you think or say will be seen by or read by people you wish the least to read it,” he said.

Bennett also stressed the ability to adapt in the business environment.

“Most of us evolve and change,” he said. “I go with the best idea now. I’m very pleased I am not running for President of the U.S. I am allowed to change my mind.”

Bennett addressed many student concerns regarding the nature of business, including the supposed trade-off between success in business and in community life.

“The idea that you can’t do both is just not accurate,” said Bennett, who said he stayed extremely active in community work—even managing a Cub Scout den—while pursuing his business endeavors. “Commitment to community is not a distraction. It’s necessary to sustain a level of intensity in life, which helps you to have a career and start a company.”

Ultimately, Bennett assured students that ability and integrity would lead to payoffs if handled correctly.

“It’s like trying to get hit by lightning. You can stand still or stand on top of a mountain with a metal rod,” Bennett said. “Having a good idea is only the first step.”

Gabriel T. Lloyd ’13, the main organizer of the event, said he felt that Bennett’s motivational skills and leadership experience spoke well to the spectrum of Harvard students’ interests.

“He is a strong entrepreneurial leader and has had a successful career in many different sectors,” Lloyd said.

Attendee Reid C. McCann ’13 praised Bennett for his strong track record.

“One of the greatest things about him is that he’s able to take an idea from scratch and turn it into a big-time organization,” he said. “He knows how to transmit ideas into action.”

Student GroupsKirkland