Institute of Politics Names Fall Fellows

By Leanna B. Ehrlich, Crimson Staff Writer

The Institute of Politics announced their fall fellows on Thursday, a lineup with a range of backgrounds including journalism, banking, and politics.

The resident fellows arrive in early September and will lead weekly study groups during the fall term at the IOP.

Fellows include two assistants to former presidents. Ronald I. Christie was a special assistant to President George W. Bush, and Linda Moore Forbes was a deputy assistant to President Bill Clinton.

Two political consultants, Democrat Thomas A. "Tad" Devine and Republican Steve Grand, are also fellows, as well as political journalist Christina Bellantoni.

A fellow with a background in banking will also be in the mix. Diane Casey-Landry, the former president of America's Community Bankers, was most recently the senior executive vice president and chief operating officer of the American Bankers Association.

Former Pennsylvania governor Ed Rendell will arrive at the IOP in October as a visiting fellow, where, in addition to leading study groups, he will meet with student organizations and participate in public policy classes.

“This accomplished group of practitioners with strong experience in governing, government relations, campaign strategy, journalism, and White House policy and political affairs is sure to captivate and inspire students and the University community,” said IOP Director C. M. Trey Grayson '94 in a press release.

Prospective fellows must submit applications, which are then considered by a student advisory committee and the staff and director of the IOP. While the director makes the final decision, the student recommendations carry large weight, said Eric R. Andersen, program manager for fellows and study groups at the IOP.

“[The IOP] is the bridge between academic and practical politics,” Andersen said. “These fellows have real experience in policy, public service, and journalism, and they can provide students with practical educations they might not get in academic pursuits.”

—Staff writer Leanna B. Ehrlich can be reached at lehrlich@college.harvard.edu.

IOP