Learn Something Useful

For those newly inducted into the 21+ club, knowing what drink to order at a crowded bar can be a ...
By Alec Yeh

For those newly inducted into the 21+ club, knowing what drink to order at a crowded bar can be a pretty overwhelming situation. The taste, the strength, even the color of your drink all say something about you. And the last thing we want our drink to say is “n00b.” So what do you order and how? Let FM give you a lesson on ordering a drink.

Lagers

Lagers are made from the yeast taken from the top of the fermenting vessel. Don’t worry if that doesn’t mean anything to you—what you should remember is that lagers are lighter in color and taste. The amount of lagers out there is reflective of their popularity; lagers are the most popular beer in the world. If you need a suggestion, FM’s partial to Belgian beers so we’re going to have to recommend Stella Artois.

Ales

Ales are made from bottom-fermented yeast. They are darker and dryer than lagers. Pale ales, brown ales, amber ales, stouts and porters all fall under the ale umbrella—each has its own flavor profile. If you like the dryer flavor of beer, and you want to support a local brewery, Harpoon IPA is a godsend.

Craft Beers

Craft beers are usually made in small batches under the special care of brewmasters with a taste for flavor. Learn your craft beers and you’ll be instant best friends with the other beer aficionados at the bar. When it comes to craft beers, Sixpoints Beer is liquid gold. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to find since they only produce a few kegs, and only kegs, at a time.

Martinis

Martinis are normally made with gin but can be ordered with vodka. The big thing is knowing the brand you like. The amount of dry vermouth mixed in determines the type—dry martinis have the most vermouth, and bone dry have the least. After gin or vodka is added, the drink can be stirred or shaken.

The Bond recommendation: order a dry Ketel One martini, stirred and served straight-up with a twist.

Manhattans

The Manhattan is the martini for whisky drinkers. Whiskey replaces gin or vodka, and sweet vermouth is substituted for dry vermouth. Order it “dry” for dry vermouth, and “perfect” for both dry and sweet vermouth.

Margaritas

Where’s the tequila, you ask? In the margaritas, preferably on a Monday. Margaritas are made with tequila, orange liqueurs of varying quality, lime juice, and margarita mix. With variations like golden margaritas (made with gold tequila), or blue margaritas (made with Blue Curaçao), the options are endless.

Food and DrinkFTM