No. 25 St. John's Downs Harvard

By Stephanie E. Herwatt, Crimson Staff Writer

The road wasn’t friendly to the Harvard men’s soccer team tonight, with the Crimson dropping its first away game to No. 25 St. John’s, 2-0.

Playing at Belson Stadium in Queens, N.Y., the Red Storm (3-1) came out strong on the offensive, putting Harvard (1-1) immediately under pressure. After the 17th minute, St. John’s took five corner kicks in nearly the same number of minutes, with junior midfielder Ido Ligety ultimately converting on a header to give the Red Storm the lead. The St. John’s defense limited the Crimson to one shot in the first half, ending the period with a 1-0 edge.

And the Red Storm showed no signs of letting up, continuing to challenge the Harvard defense in the second half. Less than six minutes into the period, senior forward Walter Hines tallied another point for St. John’s with a chip shot from 12 yards out off an assist by freshman midfielder Daniel Herrera. Although the Red Storm had seven corners in the latter half to the Crimson’s one, the Harvard defense stayed strong to keep the final score at 2-0.

St. John’s outshot the Crimson, 14-3, in the match, with senior goalkeeper Austin Harms recording five saves for Harvard.

Check back with TheCrimson.com for more updates.

Sports BriefsMen's Soccer