Reno, Former Harvard Assistant, Takes Over as Yale Football Coach

Tony Reno replaces Tom Williams, who resigned after facing allegations of inaccuracies on his resume

Tony Reno, who served for three years as a Harvard assistant coach, was introduced in a press conference Thursday as the 34th Yale head football coach. Reno takes over for Tom Williams, who resigned last month amid allegations that he lied on his resume.
By Scott A. Sherman, Crimson Staff Writer

Former Harvard defensive backs coach and special teams coordinator Tony Reno was officially named the 34th Yale head football coach on Thursday afternoon.

After spending the past three seasons at Harvard, the 37-year-old former Crimson assistant returns to New Haven, Conn., where he previously served for six years as an assistant coach with the Bulldogs.

“Leadership-wise, I’m the right man for this job,” Reno said in his introductory statement at his press conference this afternoon. “I firmly believe that. I understand the challenge of Yale, I understand the challenges of coaching in the Ivy League, and I understand what makes Yale great.”

In just three seasons with Harvard, the reigning Ivy League Champions, Reno has had success developing talent such as All-Ivy defensive backs Derrick Barker ’10, Collin Zych ’11, and most recently senior Matthew Hanson.

Under his guidance, Harvard’s secondary ranked 21st nationally in pass efficiency defense during the 2011 season. The Crimson allowed just nine passing touchdowns all year, tied for fourth-best in the country. It also led the Ancient Eight with 14 interceptions, including three in the Crimson’s season-ending 45-7 win over the Bulldogs on Nov. 19.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for him,” Hanson said. “Obviously it stinks that we’re losing him as a coach, but for him and his family, it’s absolutely amazing. I wish him the best of luck.”

Reno also served as Harvard’s main recruiter in the Southeastern United States. His players described him as knowledgeable about both sides of the ball and a great motivator.

“He was really good at getting everybody excited and focused for the game,” senior defensive back Devin Saxon said. “He brought confidence to all the players, starting from the freshmen and up to the seniors.”

Crimson head coach Tim Murphy, this week named president of the American Football Coaches Association, praised the hiring and said he had already begun his search for a new defensive backs coach.

“This is a good move by Yale,” Murphy wrote in an e-mail. “Tony is a good guy, has substantial Ivy experience and will bring enthusiasm and professionalism to their program.”

Reno called Murphy one of the most “prepared, professional coaches” he had ever worked with.

“He prepares [his team] to be great players on and off the field,” Reno said. “Those are pieces I’m going to bring here to make Yale successful.”

Reno also worked with the secondary for five of his six seasons as an assistant with the Bulldogs. Yale won its first Ivy League title in seven years in 2006 and featured the third-ranked passing defense in the nation in 2007 and 2008.

“He did great coaching the DBs with us,” Hanson said. “Just the passion he has for football and for player growth, I think he’ll be great there.”

“He definitely deserves it," Saxon added. "He’s a great coach, he knows football, he’s been working hard, and he’s going to be really successful.”

Prior to his first stint at Yale, Reno served as a defensive coordinator and secondary coach at his alma mater, Worcester State. In his time with there, the Lancers posted a 27-5 overall record and made two playoff appearances. For his efforts, Reno was named the AFLAC National Assistant Coach of the Year in 2002.

He was announced as the Bulldogs newest coach—and its third in five years—at a 4 p.m. press conference at the Yale Bowl in New Haven. Reno reportedly beat out Lehigh offensive coordinator Dave Cecchini for the job.

“I understand the honor and the tradition of Yale football,” Reno said. “I want to build on that tradition, to build on that winning attitude and success.”

Reno said he had already begun recruiting on Thursday. He will replace former coach Tom Williams, who resigned on Dec. 21 amidst allegations that he lied on his resume in regards to his candidacy for the Rhodes Scholarship as an undergraduate at Stanford.

“We were looking for someone who understands what it takes to win, and we have found that individual,” Yale athletic director Tom Beckett said. “Tony Reno is a teacher, a leader of young men, and he loves Yale, and he loves the men of Yale football.”

Reno will now be faced with the task of turning around a program that did not meet preseason expectations last season, finishing 5-5. The Bulldogs have lost 10 of its last 11 meetings with Harvard in The Game, a mark Reno is eager to begin trying to turn around.

“Our team is going to be ready to go mentally, physically, and emotionally for each one of its football games,” Reno said. “I really can’t wait to get started.”

Breaking SportsFootball