Freshmen Strut the Runway in Halloween Catwalk

By Steven R. Watros, Contributing Writer

The John Harvard statue uprooted himself from his normal spot outside University Hall on Friday to strut down a table-top runway in Annenberg during the annual Halloween Costume Catwalk.

At the end of the runway, the statue, a freshman sporting a bronzed face and gray suit, returned to his “chair,” placed in front of the judge’s table. Then, Matthew T. Barber '16, one of the event’s emcees, placed his foot on John Harvard’s knee to mimic the late-night tradition of urinating on the University’s namesake.

John Harvard was joined on the runway by other major Harvard names such as a Natalie Portman ’03 in Black Swan costume and a T.S. Eliot, a graduate of the Class of 1910. The Halloween models vied for victory in one of four costume categories: most original, best group, scariest, and most original group.

For the yearly event, the First Year Social Committee, which organized the night, transformed Annenberg into a haunted hall, lights dimmed and electric candles placed throughout the room. Three freshman resident deans—dressed as Severus Snape, a wizard, and Peeves the Poltergeist—judged the Catwalk alongside Dean of Freshmen Thomas A. Dingman ’67, who came as Hogwarts Headmaster Albus Dumbledore.

“The FDO staff has turned out in Hogwarts fashion,” Dingman said.

Sue Brown, resident dean of Elm Yard wearing Professor Sprout attire, photographed the event. Assistant to the Dean of Freshmen Brandon Edwards rounded out the Hogwarts entourage as Harry Potter himself.

“We are looking for originality and sense of humor,” Dingman said. “Every year, we’re blown away by the talent in the class.”

Jack F. Weyen '16 also showed off his costume on the runway. He wore a leisure suit, male-symbol necklace, groomed moustache, and slicked-back hair. “I’m what the ’70s actually looked like,” said Weyen, who paraded down the runway and leapt into a full split.

This acrobatic feat, coupled with his realistic costume, earned him the prize of “scariest” costume, said  Anna Y. H. Zhong ’16, a member of FYSC.

Zhong said the other winners were “The Apley Court nerds” for the group category, Brett M. Biebelberg '16, who dressed as a water cooler, for most original, and Taylor L. Benninger '16 and Dawn A. Loggins '16, who dressed as pirate and sailor steering a cardboard “H.M.S. Scaritas,” for most original.

Winners will receive gift cards to Harvard Square businesses.

FYSC member Jacqueline M. DelMuto '16 came to the event she helped organize styled as Pebbles from the Flintstones. “It’s a fun way for people to express themselves,” she said of the night.

FreshmenHarvard Yard