New Cookie Shop Attracts Students

Insomnia cookies, located on Mount Auburn Street near Boloco, opened its doors for business on Wednesday evening.
By Zohra D. Yaqhubi, Contributing Writer

As snow blanketed Cambridge streets Wednesday, students got their fill of warm, gooey deliciousness at Insomnia Cookies.

After much hype, the small cookie and ice cream store opened Wednesday, showcasing its 11 cookie choices and 7 ice cream options. Students flowed in to try a free cookie after receiving fliers and coupons in dining halls from store employees.

“I lived off of Insomnia Cookies this summer so I couldn’t be happier that they’re here.” said Nicole R. Delany ’14, who frequented the cookie chain’s outlet in New York City.

Cameron E. Niven ’13 was one of the first customers to order the 12 cookies for $12 special. “The first time I had it was in Madison, Wisconsin, so I’m really excited,” she said. “The triple chocolate chunk is delicious.”

Some students trudged through the accrued snow piles, shaking off some of the snow as they walked into the store. But others didn’t have to travel far. “We live in Ridgely [Hall], so it’s too close for comfort,” Emma R. Lipshultz ’15 said.

For students living farther away, Insomnia offers delivery service to all in the Cambridge area, between 6 p.m. and 2:45 a.m. every day. Customers can place orders online or by phone; employees at the Harvard location assured the effortlessness of the option, explaining that deliverymen call when outside the designated dorm and students come to the door to pick their orders up.

“I like new food options. And the fact that it’s open until 3 a.m. and has the delivery option is nice,” Oliver J. Russ ’15 said.

The array of cookie options has expanded dramatically in the Square in recent weeks. Last week, Have a Sweet Idea, another college-campus based cookie delivery service, started providing its late-night treats to Harvard students. Have a Sweet Idea has also expanded to serve college students at Boston University, Northeastern, and Tufts. Its deliverymen, who ride bikes in orange jumpsuits, deliver their competitively priced desserts until 3 a.m..

Insomnia Cookies—which brands itself as “baked right...late night!”—will be open daily from 11 a.m. to 3 a.m., joining the Hong Kong and Market in the Square as Harvard Square’s newest late-night eatery.

Student LifeFood and DrinkHarvard SquareFree FoodSquare Business