Cambridge City Council Celebrates Salvadoran Sister City

By Kerry M. Flynn, Crimson Staff Writer

Cambridge City Councillors along with Salvadoran officials commemorated the 25-year anniversary of the Cambridge-El Salvador Sister City Project on Wednesday.

The event inspired State Representative Alice K. Wolf to attend the Council meeting.

“It was very moving to hear over the years the humanitarian and political results of having had this relationship,” said Wolf, who spoke at the end of ceremony prior to the meeting’s official start.

Wolf served on the Council when Cambridge established a relationship with San Jose Las Flores.

The Council passed a resolution for a series of commemorative events to be held throughout the year.

“I think this is a two-way learning relationship. We are pleased and grateful that you let us learn about your city,” said Vice Consul of the Consulate General of El Salvador Ena U. Pena.

After Salvadoran representatives filed out of the chamber, five residents spoke out against the process of the fast food zoning variance for a Dunkin Donuts to be established at 1678 Mass Ave.

Residents argued that the Board of Zoning Appeal’s public notice was inaccurate. The public notice, which was posted at 1678 Mass Ave., referred to the business as a “café/coffee shop.”

“I’m mostly bothered by the lack of appropriate process,” said Gordon Moore, a Cambridge resident who said that Dunkin Donuts is not a café. “They should redo the process and announce exactly what it is—a coffee shop that sells donuts and light sandwiches.”

Moore added that he does not oppose Dunkin Donuts categorically and is a frequent customer of the fast food chain.

Councillor Timothy J. Toomey Jr. has requested that the Board of Zoning Appeal redo the variance process by the order of the city manager.

The Council voted unanimously with one absence to allot $25,000 to help pay for the cost of participating in the 2012 Biotechnology Industry Organization International Convention. The Convention will take place at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center from June 18 to 21.

City Manager Robert W. Healy said the full participation cost will be discussed at the next economic development meeting.

Councillors discussed several applications for the posting of signs, three of which will be erected in Harvard Square.

Pinkberry requested permission to add another sign to its Mass Ave. store front. Curious George, which has planned a reopening for April 28, requested permission for two signs.

Propark Inc. requested three sandwich board signs.

The orders were all passed by the Council.

Councillors concluded the meeting by thanking Wolf for her many years of service.

“She will certainly be missed, and I’m sure she’s going to be around in many different facets,” said Toomey. “I’m looking forward to continuing our relationship.”

City Councillor Marjorie C. Decker, who announced her candidacy soon after Wolf declared that she would not seek reelection, reminded councillors that Wolf is not yet out of office.

“She is here for another good year as our state rep. It is time to reflect her time as being a changemaker and an activist,” Decker said.

—Staff writer Kerry M. Flynn can be reached at kflynn@college.harvard.edu.

City PoliticsCambridge City Council