Tasty Burger To Replace 7-Eleven

By Laura K. Reston, Crimson Staff Writer

Tasty Burger, a burger restaurant in Boston, will open a second branch in Harvard Square this fall, replacing the current 7-Eleven at 40 JFK Street.

The eatery, which will keep its first location behind Fenway Park, serves burgers, chicken sandwiches, hot dogs, and salads with locally produced ingredients.

The restaurant’s affordable prices attract families, tourists, and students from the surrounding area. Current prices allow patrons to enjoy a cheeseburger, root beer, and fries for less than seven dollars.

Tasty Burger’s current location has been quite successful since it opened in 2010, according to David A. DuBois, Tasty Burger co-owner and chef.

But, according to DuBois, the owners have always wanted to expand their business beyond their current location at Fenway.

“I have been trying to get a restaurant in Cambridge for a while,” DuBois, a former Cambridge resident, said. “It just wasn’t in the cards until now.”

They originally planned to open a second branch in Davis Square. However, when their plans fell through, owners decided to look into a location in Cambridge.

“Personally I couldn’t be happier,” DuBois said. “I’ve always wanted to come home to Cambridge.”

DuBois ate his first burger from Mr. Bartley’s Gourmet Burgers when he was just seven years old.

He grew up eating Charlie’s Kitchen’s ‘double cheeseburger special’ and said that their food shaped his love for burgers today.

Despite other popular burger restaurants in Harvard Square, DuBois said that Tasty Burger’s unique menu will differentiate its food from other Cambridge burger joints.

The menu currently features thirteen types of specialty burgers, including veggie patties and turkey burgers that DuBois called “the best in the city.” Unlike Bartley’s and Charlie’s, Tasty Burger serves “flat patty” burgers chargrilled in a cookout style, DuBois said.

Dubois hopes to open the restaurant next fall, after renovations to the space.

The owners will need to redesign the store to include a completely new kitchen.

After renovations, Dubois said that the restaurant will look more “polished” than the current location in Fenway, which was built in an old gas station.

Owners of other burger restaurants in Cambridge said that they had become accustomed to contending with rival businesses.

“There’s always going to be competition, especially in Harvard Square,” said Anthony S. Ackil ’99, co-owner of another Cambridge burger restaurant, b.good.

—Staff writer Laura K. Reston can be reached at laurareston@college.harvard.edu.

Food and DrinkHarvard Square