Men’s, Women’s Track and Field Teams Down Yale in Dual Meet

At Saturday’s Harvard-Yale meet at the McCurdy Outdoor Track, freshman Jarvis Harris leaps on his way to victory in the men’s 110-meter hurdles. Harris also placed first in the men’s triple jump and seventh in the men’s 200m dash. Both the Crimson men’s and women’s squads topped Yale.
By Selena Hurtado, Crimson Staff Writer

On Saturday, the Harvard track and field team came out strong against Yale in a dual meet at the McCurdy Outdoor Track.

The men’s and women’s teams came away with the sweep, the women claiming a 89-73 victory and the men finishing on top, 114-49.

“My expectations were to have a great team performance, and that’s exactly what happened,” Harvard coach Jason Saretsky said. “There are a lot of positives to draw from this.”

“[Saturday] was really a team kind of day; we pulled each other along, and I’m very proud that I am faster now than I was at this time last year,” said freshman Erika  Veidis, who brought home a win in the 800-meter dash (2:09:90).

Along with Veidis, co-captain Meghan Looney and sophomore Olivia Abbate each ran well in their races.

Looney took third in the 1500m, and Abbate finished first in the 100m hurdles with a time of 14:04, earning first by three seconds and setting a new personal record.

“Everyone had a lot of enthusiasm, and it was a good workout in preparation for the Heps championships,” said Looney about the upcoming event, which begins on May 5.

On the men’s side, freshman Jarvis Harris came out flying in each of his events.

Harris finished first in both the 110m hurdles and the triple jump and seventh in the 200m dash.

Senior Darcy Wilson also started strong, earning a personal record in the 1500m run with a time of 3:50:96. Wilson earned two first-place finishes, one in the 1500m and the other in the 800m race.

“I was very pleased with my performance, and as a senior it is one of my last chances to do well,” Wilson said. “I just have to compete to win, and the times will come.”

Junior Nico Weiler also had success in the pole vault, finishing first in front of a small crowd that gathered at that event.

Freshman Benjamin Glauser followed Weiler’s performance by placing first in the hammer and second in the shot put.

“The success of your day will be defined in one second,” Glauser said. “The hardest part for me is overcoming that mental battle. My expectations were higher than I actually threw, but that keeps me hungry and wanting more.”

On the track, Harvard owned the 100m dash, with sophomores Connor McCarthy, Andrew Ezekoye, and Damani Wilson taking first through third, respectively.

McCarthy finished in 10.87 seconds, .03 ahead of Ezekoye.

Harvard also finished in the top three spots in the 3000m, as sophomore James Leakos took first followed by rookies Daniel Milechman and Billy Orman.

Leakos crossed the finish line in 8:24.47, while Milechman and Orman turned in times of 8:29.02 and 8:30.21, respectively.

Yale’s Tim Hillas was the first Bulldog to finish, posting a time of 8:30.52.

Matt Bieszard had greater success on the men’s side for the Bulldogs, claiming first in the 200m and 400m dashes.

But it was not enough, as the Crimson men finished with the 65-point win.

Track and Cross Country