Women's Volleyball Mounts Comeback Against Big Green

By Patrick Xu, Contributing Writer

Down two sets to none, the Harvard women’s volleyball (10-7, 5-3 Ivy) team could see its potential five-game winning streak slipping away to Dartmouth (10-10, 3-5 Ivy), a team that they had handedly defeated in the first game in their Ivy League season.

The Crimson, however, fought back in tough fashion, beating the Big Green 25-21 in the third set, and just barely eked out the win, 26-24, in the fourth, a set that featured 9 ties. In fact, Dartmouth had a 24-23 lead before Harvard was able to pull even and eventually win the set.

Despite their efforts in mounting a comeback, the Big Green was able to pull out the win, 15-10, in the final set, as they capitalized on a 6-0 run during the final frame.

Freshmen setter Corinne Bain of Harvard narrowly missed out on her third straight triple double, notching 10 kills, 30 assists, and 9 digs. She currently holds the only triple-doubles in the Crimson’s history.

Sophomore outside hitter Kathleen Wallace continued her strong performances as well, leading the team with 17 kills. Freshman outside hitter Grace Weghorst and junior middle blocker Caroline Walters each added 12 kills

Dartmouth had star performances from freshman opposite hitter Emily Astarita and sophomore outside hitter Paige Caridi, who had 17 and 16 kills, respectively, and 11 digs each. Aiding their efforts was freshman setter Stacey Benton, who pitched in with 41 assists. Rounding out the Big Green’s offensive effort was senior middle blocker Elisa Scudder, who recorded 5 service aces.

Check thecrimson.com for updates.

Women's VolleyballGame Stories