Tata Hall Set for Completion in December 2013

Tata Hall, the newest addition to the Harvard Business School campus, is slated for completion later this year.
By Callie H. Gilbert, Contributing Writer

Harvard Business School’s newest addition--Tata Hall, future home for HBS’ Executive Education program--will be officially dedicated on Dec. 9 of this year, according to Andrew F. O’Brien, chief of operations at HBS and overseer of the project.

The dedication will come about two years after the construction of Tata Hall began on Dec. 5, 2011. Construction has been on or ahead of schedule since the initial development of the project began on Oct. 31, 2011, and no major construction or design plans have altered since that time, according to O’Brien. The initial estimate of the total costs were $100 million.

“Building construction work is nearing completion, with furniture installation starting this week. The exterior site improvements and landscaping work is in progress, scheduled for completion by the end of November,” O’Brien said. Additionally, development of the building’s interior mechanical, electrical, and plumbing fixtures and installation of exterior glass and window frames are ongoing, according to this week’s updated construction notice.

Tata Hall was funded by a $50 million gift from the Indian multinational conglomerate Tata Group.

Due to its close proximity to other HBS facilities--Tata Hall will sit behind HBS’ central social space for meals and meetings, Kresge Hall--construction of the building has required careful attention to minimize impact on neighboring buildings.

“The location of the building adjacent to other occupied buildings on the HBS campus has created challenges in terms of controlling noise, dust, vibrations and other construction related issues,” O’Brien said, adding that these challenges were managed by meeting frequently with the construction contractor, as well as having proactive communications to inform faculty, students and staff of project’s impact on a weekly basis.

Tata Hall will comprise approximately 150,000 square feet, feature 180 bedrooms to house visiting executives, and span at least six floors, O’Brien said. It has been designed in accordance with LEED Gold certification--the second-highest sustainability rating awarded by the United States Green Building Council--and will feature triple-glazed windows and a green roof.

Members of the Executive Education program will begin using the building in January 2014, following initial occupancy by HBS staff after the dedication. The program brings together business leaders from all over the world to develop management and leadership skills.

“Tata Hall marks the shift to a new global century of business, and is a special marker as we look forward to a renewed, more interconnected world,” HBS Dean Nitin Nohria said during the 2011 unveiling ceremony of the project.

Harvard Business SchoolAllston