Daisy Chain: What We're Listening To

FM set out to find the students on campus with the best taste in music. The chain started with Henry Kennelly, a freshman in Greenough, who then named his “best music friend” (BMF), who named their BMF, and so on. Listen in!
By Deniz Cataltepe

On a campus filled with world-class musicians, it’s only natural that the iTunes libraries of these individuals should reflect their fine artistic talents. Even apart from actual performers, Harvard students take their music choices seriously, carefully constructing playlists for studying, partying, or just hanging out.

Henry B. Kennelly '17

Favorite Genre: I never really listened to the radio. I grew up with Coltrane and Led Zeppelin, and I got really into hip-hop and funk through playing the drums. I fell in love with those beats—the pockets you can find in those types of songs.

Music Background: I started playing drums in fifth grade and guitar in first grade. I taught myself piano by learning how to play “Nuvole Bianche” by Ludovico Einaudi.

His BMF: Sasha and I went to high school together and we put on an Irish music gig one time which was incredible. He’s pretty much fluent in classical music.

Sasha G. Scolnik-Brower '17

Favorite Genre: I was brought up listening to classical music and have always been most drawn to it. I usually find new music by going to concerts or playing pieces with which I’m unfamiliar. Youtube is also pretty great.

Music Background: I’ve played the cello since I was 5 or so. It’s definitely been part of the reason why I love classical music.

His BMF: I met Laila because we are both in the joint program between Harvard and New England Conservatory—in 5 years we get a bachelor’s degree from Harvard and a Masters of Music from NEC...she’s a great jazz singer.

Laila M. Smith '17

Favorite Genre: I’m a jazz musician, but I love folk, classical, and Brazilian music. In the 70s, Brazilian and jazz had sort of a “love child.” I also really appreciate the lyric and storytelling side of folk music, which is a big part of jazz, too.

Music Background: I grew up playing piano and I’m now a jazz singer. I’m in a dual degree program with the New England Conservatory of Music, but I also have a band outside of Harvard, which is composed of all jazz musicians. It’s heavily influenced by R&B, folk, and Brazilian music.

Her BMF: I met Kevin through the NEC dual degree, though I’m pretty sure we would have encountered each other simply by virtue of the jazz community being so small. What I like about Kevin is that he balances the visceral part of the listening experience with the intellectual/methodical part of it. He’s very thoughtful about what he likes in a cerebral sort of way, but he certainly doesn’t leave out any of the pathos in his reasoning.

Kevin Sun '14

Favorite Genre: My taste is strongly skewed towards jazz, but when I came to college it was somewhat hard to find people with the same taste in music, so I was forced to check out other scenes. I started listening to more R&B, and I’m now trying to break into the bluegrass scene.

Music Background: I’m a tenor saxophone player who doubles on the clarinet and flute. I started with classical piano when I was younger. I compose and arrange music, as well. I’m a first year masters student in the New England Conservatory of Music and a jazz-blogger on my personal site, A Horizontal Search.

His BMF: I met Josh Lipson during freshman year and we bonded over the fact that we’re both from New Jersey. We would hang out and listen to music, and he turned me onto some interesting stuff. He listens to a lot of world music.

Josh D. Lipson '14

Favorite Genre: I’m very interested in world sounds. I like things with a psychedelic edge, especially Middle Eastern, Indian, and Latin American music. I studied in the Middle East and my family has strong ties to Israel, so I consider myself an admirer and student of many different cultures.

Music Background: I have a little bit of background in percussion because I played drums in middle school. I do some Middle Eastern drumming now. I definitely wish I had a stronger background in playing music.

MusicConversations