Women's Volleyball Blanked in New Haven

By Patrick Xu, Contributing Writer

The Harvard women’s volleyball team battled Yale at New Haven this weekend in an attempt to put a nearly 10-year long losing streak against the Bulldogs to an end. The Crimson, winless against its Eli rivals since 2004, has not even picked up a set since 2010.

Both streaks, however, are still alive, as Yale (8-3, 2-0 Ivy) handedly defeated Harvard (6-5, 1-1) in three sets.

It was all Bulldogs during the match, as the Crimson managed to gain the advantage only once throughout the entire game, a 1-0 lead in the second set.

The home team led by sophomore middle blocker Jesse Ebner and junior outside hitter Mollie Rogers, who each had 11 kills. Additionally, Ebner and freshman libero Tori Shepherd contributed three aces apiece. The offensive game was aided by the play of senior setter Kendell Polan, who registered 27 assists.

Yale also had multiple strong defensive performances, as Polan led the team with 12 digs, while junior libero Maddie Rudnick added 11. Shepherd and Rogers also came close to the double-digit mark for digs, but fell short by one and two digs, respectively.

Harvard, on the other hand, had no players that recorded double-digit values for any of the aforementioned statistics. Three players had a team-high four kills, while freshman setter Corinne Bain aided the squad with a team-leading eight assists. Sophomore middle blocker Caroline Holte, one of the Crimson’s most dynamic scorers, had a goose egg in the kills column.

Check thecrimson.com for updates.

Sports BriefsWomen's Volleyball