Singles Rundown

New music from Justin Bieber, Fifth Harmony, and Lecrae

By Alex F. Dagi, Contributing Writer

"Wrecking Ball"

Miley Cyrus, "BANGERZ"

Fresh off what might have been the most internet-sensational performance of all time, Miley released “Wrecking Ball,” her second single off of the upcoming “BANGERZ.” In an interview with MTV, Cyrus suggested that her self-proclaimed history-making performance would lead to more interest in her work, and, sweet nibblets, it appears she was right. The video for “Wrecking Ball” already has over 90 million views and the song tops iTunes singles chart. The song itself showcases Cyrus’ pipes somewhat more than the drug soaked, Auto-Tuned “We Can’t Stop.” If you don’t watch the video, “Wrecking Ball” feels driven by more genuine emotion than the standard pop song. If you do watch the video, the song seems driven by nudity.

“My Party feat. Zebra Katz”

Icona Pop, “This Is...Icona Pop”

Icona Pop shot to iconic status after Lena Dunham danced to their hit “I Love It” in a mesh tank top on “Girls.” Call it the dance heard round the world. In anticipation of their upcoming album, “This Is… Icona Pop,” they turned back the clock with a stream-only remix of Lesley Gore’s 1963 single “My Party.” With its painfully simple lyrics (which hold up surprisingly well over the years) and the slowed-down beat, the song begs to be danced to. This may not become the anthem that Icona’s first single did, but it’s a good way to create buzz among people who think they’re destined to be a one-hit wonder.

“Atlas”

Coldplay, “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire”

In a shocking turn of events, Coldplay’s new song has a single-word title and consists mainly of Chris Martin’s voice and a piano. Way to keep it new, guys.  “Atlas” probably won’t rise to the top like “Viva La Vida,” but as the theme to the new “Hunger Games: Catching Fire” film it will probably get a fair amount of play. That also accounts for the fairly sparse lyrics that are mostly about fire. But at this point, if you like Coldplay then you’ll like everything they do from now until the end of time. So…enjoy?

MusicMusic Groups