Panelists Discuss Value of Trans Art

By Quynh-Nhu Le, Contributing Writer

Transgender art provides an important framework to reflect on gender and identity, panelists said at an event dis- cussing and showcasing transgender and genderqueer arts on Wednesday.

“Art isn’t inherently trans or genderqueer, but it might deal with some of the implications of some of those experiences,” said panelist and doctoral student Michael M. Weinstein.

The event included performances by queer artists including Kate Bornstein and a panel discussion on the impact and implications of transgender and genderqueer arts.

Panelists noted that trans arts can help amend traditional ideas about the transgender experience.

For example, they debated whether the transgender experience known as “passing” could itself be seen as performance art. Passing refers to being perceived by others, particularly strangers, as the gender you identify as.

Women, Gender, and Sexuality professor Michael Bronski argued that if one views passing as a form of street theater or other theatrical performance, then success or failure to “pass” can pro- vide commentary on gender in society.

Panelists also noted that trans art has the potential to create a more flexible image of gender.

“I want to see in trans art, not that gender needs to be destroyed, but that we need more frameworks to see gender,” panelist Kat M. Baus ’15 said. “That it can be a serious part of someone, but also something fun.”

Jacqueline Hargrove, a doctoral student at UMass-Boston who attended the event, agreed.

“[Transgender art] just helps to question your own identity, and understand your own biases about who you are and how you see other people,” she said.

Hargrove was particularly enthusiastic about the performance by artist Kate Bornstein.

Bornstein performed her signature piece On Men, Women, and the Rest of

Us, which incorporates stand-up comedy, theatrical monologues, and slam poetry to reflect on her transgender experiences.

Alicia Ortiz, a community organizer who works on BGLTQ advocacy, said that she believed Kate Bornstein presented an important and universal message.

“Everybody should hear and experience [the performance] and realize that all of us have work to do to do with ourselves to understand our experiences in this world.” Ortiz said. “Our gender, our sexuality–none of that is a given, and it’s important to think of that, no mat- ter what our path around those things might be.”

LGBTQCampus Arts