Women's Basketball Edges Brown To Complete Weekend Sweep

By Cordelia F Mendez, Crimson Staff Writer

After cutting an early 11-point deficit to two at the half, the Harvard women’s basketball team rolled over Brown (7-11, 1-3 Ivy), 68-58, to sweep its first Ivy League road trip on Saturday at the Pizzitola Sports Center.

The Crimson (12-6, 3-1 Ivy) was bolstered by a combined 33 points off guard pair Christine Clark and Victoria Lippert and a near double-double from sophomore forward Temi Fagbenle, who chipped in 14 points and nine rebounds of her own.

After Bears forward Jordin Juker sunk two from the charity strip and put her team up, 28-17, with 8:08 to go in the first frame, Harvard junior Elise Gordon took a handoff from Clark and drove a layup that spurred a scoring effort which tied the contest at 33. The Crimson entered the locker room down by 2, 35-33.

Back on the floor in the second stanza, Lippert drilled an early three to give Harvard its first lead since the first minute of the game. Two jumpers from sophomore guard Ali Curtis put the Crimson on top, 40-37, with over 17 minutes to play. From there, Harvard would never trail again.

The final frame saw Fagbenle notch 10 of her points and six rebounds. The forward, who put up a career-high 20 points against Yale on Friday night, has been the team’s leading rebounder in eight of the last nine games.

The Crimson squad hit 12 free throws in a half where its lead was as large as 14 with under a minute remaining. The team’s final 11 points were entirely off of foul shots.

--Staff writer Cordelia F. Mendez can be reached at cordeliamendez@college.harvard.edu

--Check back on thecrimson.com for more updates.

Women's Basketball