HUCTW-Sponsored Panel Discusses Role of Unions

By Christine Y. Cahill, Crimson Staff Writer

As part of a discussion series celebrating the Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers’ 25th anniversary, three professors argued that the declining strength of unions has in part caused the deterioration of America’s middle class. Panelists each began their segments of the discussion, entitled “What’s Happening to the American Middle Class?” by reflecting on their own personal experiences with HUCTW. Lawrence F. Katz, a Harvard economics professor, first laid out what he believes to be the three main problems facing the middle class: the fallout from the recession, bad conditions for young people and the unemployed, and long-term structural labor market changes. Lisa M. Lynch, dean of the Heller School for Social Policy and Management at Brandeis University, recalled the vote that created the union 25 years ago. “I remember the whispers of, ‘Oh, they’re not going to last,’ so congratulations on lasting!” Lynch said. Lynch then went on to cite the decline of unions—and the subsequent lack of a group watching out for and protecting workers—as the number one reason for the deterioration of the middle class. “We’re moving to a new tipping point because of a breakdown of the norms that helped ensure that the rising tide raised all boats,” she said. “Now we’re finding that as the tide goes up, it’s a tsunami and we’re all getting wiped out.” Ann Bookman, a professor at the University of Massachusetts Boston, said she agreed about the importance of unions. “Without people having a voice about the conditions of their work, they’re going to be only fragily attached to the middle class,” Bookman said. The panel is one of four discussions organized by HUCTW. It will be followed by three similar discussions—on health care, higher education, and the U.S. labor movement—that will take place in the coming weeks. According to HUCTW organizer Marie Manna, the event was the first time the union had organized discussions open to Harvard staff, both HUCTW members and non-members, students, faculty, and the wider community. She said that the union wanted to have an inclusive event to expand the discussion about significant issues facing both the Harvard community and the country as a whole. HUCTW Director Bill Jaeger said that the anniversary sparked some introspection within the union. “We wanted to mark the birthday proud of what we’ve accomplished, but also in a forward looking and broadly inclusive way,” he said. Union member Heidi L. Morgans, a publications coordinator at the Harvard Kennedy School, said that she came to the event because she was interested in the topic. “I do appreciate the fact that the union put on such an informative event for us so that we can learn for our own benefit,” Morgans said. —Staff writer Christine Y. Cahill can be reached at christinecahill@thecrimson.com. Follower her on Twitter @cycahill16.

Labor