Mixtape: Falling into Fall

A playlist for all your autumnal depressions

By Akshay Verma, Contributing Writer

Remember mixtapes? Crimson Arts does. Welcome to our new biweekly feature, where we create mixtapes for every emotion and every season—for breakups, breakdowns, and breakdancing. This week is our first ever Mixtape, inspired by the changing season and dedicated to staring out of windows and walking slowly down leafy streets.

“Oceans” by Coasts

As a Southern Californian venturing to the East for the first time, “Oceans” reminds me of all the warm beach days, late-night bonfires, sandy feet, and clear skies I left behind. As I wrap myself up in four layers each night (even though it’s only late September), Coasts’ single immediately takes me back to the blissful days of summer.

“I Already Forgot Everything You Said” by The Dig

The Dig’s relaxed, melodious song brings you back to the awkward summer flings to the best friends you left behind. Sometimes it’s necessary to just lay on your uncomfortable futon and stare at the ceiling, ear-buds in with sad music blastingand this song allows you to do just that.

“Mushaboom” by Feist

"Mushaboom" opens with lilting tones over a spare guitar as Feist sings about being stuck between where you are and you want to be. As a sparking tambourine and whimsical handclaps join in, the song becomes a charming anthem for days when nothing feels quite as good as it should.

“Pompeii” by Bastille

The British band’s song may have taken over every radio station in the past few months, but justifiably so: “Pompeii” is absolutely fantastic, with upbeat chants throughout and cheerful lyrics about being optimistic in the moments when it seems hardest. If you ever feel sad or out-of-place in this changing season, the song will definitely lift your spirits up.

“Always Like This” by The Bombay Bicycle Club

The perfect summer song, with just the right amount of nostalgic punches thrown in between the random urges to dance, “Always Like This” never fails to make me happy, despite the cold despair I know I am about to feel (being a Californian and all).

"Alive” by Empire Of The Sun

Alive? Sure, but more like overdosed on coffee, problem sets, and homesickness. But when the heaps of illegible multivariable notes and Gov 20 readings on your nightstand get to be far too much, Empire of the Sun’s energetic and upbeat song will surely make you just a bit happier.

“Don’t Panic” by Coldplay

“Don’t Panic” allows me—at least for a good three minutes—to sit back and think about all that is going right when everything seems to go amiss. I’ll be honest: all I’ve done since my first day here is panic. From choosing the right classes to ignoring readings until the last minute, I’ve panicked about just about everything possible. Yet, amid my momentary existential crises, Coldplay’s bittersweet song gets me hopeful about all that I have to look forward to.

“Summertime Sadness (Cedric Gervais remix)” by Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey’s single might have annoyed you on the radio during every single car ride this summer, but the upbeat and energetic Cedric Gervais remix will not fail to make you ironically happy as you think back to your own summertime sadness. The electronic feel of the remix, perfectly in unison with the song’s rhythm, will surely make you move in your seat.

“Featherstone” by The Paper Kites

“Featherstone” really sets the mood for the laid-back nights at Lamont, people-watching and avoiding the problem set that’s due in 4 hours. The song starts off with a relaxed guitar solo and eventually moves into backup vocals that echo the main ones, creating a lonely feeling. As a slow melody of drums joins in, it becomes jam-packed with nostalgia and transports you back to the simpler days of summer, when an all-nighter meant catching up with friends for hours.

“Love Like a Sunset Pt I and Pt II” by Phoenix

With seven minutes of instrumentals and nearly no audible lyrics, Phoenix really have a perfect song here: it allows you to simultaneously feel all emotions in the span of a few minutes, from hope to sadness to pure bliss.

“Venice” by The Lighthouse and the Whaler

The Lighthouse and the Whaler’s single, with its light, icy tones and airy vocals, gets me excited for the chilly days ahead. The beautiful melody and the upbeat vibe make me nostalgic of home, but also eager for the beautiful New England autumn ahead.

Music