Sharely's must-have are a pair of classic Hunter boots.

Daisy Chain: The Devil Wears Crimson

Harvard: high stakes, high energy, high… fashion? Ask your typical camera-toting Harvard Yard tourists to describe our student body, and this phrase won’t immediately come to mind. Yet a closer look at certain students rushing to class reveals a definite flare for style under those heavy coats and backpacks.
By Maia R. Silber

FM set out to find some of these fashionistas, starting with Niyat Mulugheta, a sophomore in Kirkland House who describes her style as “eclectic.” Niyat then named her Best-Dressed Friend (BDF), who named another friend, and so on. Here they are, the style stars of the Yard.

Niyat Mulugheta '16

The Harvard fashion scene: There’s a predominant preppy look, but you have a lot of people who are more bohemian, more casual, or more urban. One thing I like is that most people don’t just go to class in a t-shirt and sweatpants.

Her BDF: Nicole is very casual chic and always clean-cut, which fits her personality. She’s a perfectionist at heart and her style reflects that.

Nicole E. Baker-Greene '16

Her style inspiration: I like “Vogue” and “Elle Magazine.” I don’t typically follow major stars, but Jessica Alba always looks so classy. She wears a lot of blouses with pants and pulls that off really nicely.

Her BDF: I met Sharely when we took a trip to Ecuador together. I’d say her style is very classy with a little flirty edge. She always rocks the cute high-waisted skirt with a little blouse.

Sharely N. Fred Torres '15

The Harvard fashion must-have: Definitely Hunter boots.

Her BDF: Adelaide was in my freshman entryway, and I’d always admire her outfits in the morning. She uses patterns and colors that really compliment her personality and make her stand out.

Adelaide M. Backer '15

Putting together an outfit: I don’t really try to go for specific looks. I like to wake up in the morning and find a piece of clothing that speaks to me, and go from there.

Her BDF: I met Susannah through rowing. Her style is very put-together, but she wears a lot of unique pieces. She’ll have a really nicely-patterned skirt and then pair that with a big, comfy sweater.

Susannah L. R. Maybank '15

Vintage shops: I’d say my style is pretty eclectic. I work in a lot of vintage finds. I go to Oona’s on Mass. Ave., and the market outside of the Science Center, which has fantastic vintage clothes. On occasion I go to Charles St. in Boston.

Making her own clothes: My mother always made dresses for us, and by the time I was seven or eight I started helping, and by the time I was twelve I was making my own stuff. I just started selling what I make and getting commissioned to make things for people.

CollegeOn CampusFashionAround Town