Who Said It: Isis or ISIS

Everybody’s been talking about the similarities between the Isis Club and the militant group, ISIS. To ensure our readership is informed and capable of discerning the difference, we present a difficult, though informative, quiz. Choose which group provided the following quotes.
By FM Staff

1. “We are a state implementing the Shariah in Iraq and Sham. We understand no borders—we have participated in battles in Sham and we will go to Iraq in a few days and fight there and come back. We will even go to Jordan and Lebanon with no problems.”

2. “Isis Club is a female social club, with a diverse membership consisting of about ninety current undergraduates.”

3. “We’re looking for girls who want to have a good time.”

4. “Ask yourself what prevents you and what keeps you behind. If it’s your wealth, your wealth won’t be able to delay death.”

5. “Through its commitment to excellence and leadership, the club provides resources for the personal and professional development of its members.”

6. “If your leaders whisper to you claiming it is not a caliphate, then remember how long they whispered to you claiming that it was not a state but rather a fictional, cardboard entity, until its certain news reached you. It is a state. Its news will continue to reach you showing that it is a caliphate.”

7. “The legality of all emirates, groups, states and organizations becomes null by the expansion of the khilafah’s authority and arrival of its troops to their areas.”

Answers: 1) ISIS - The Isis Club, in contrast, routinely faces problems when attempting to enter Lebanon. 2) Isis Club - The key word here is “undergraduates”; ISIS admits members of any educational background. 3) Isis Club - ISIS strictly prohibits anyone “want[ing] to have a good time.” 4) ISIS - Most members of the Isis Club believe their wealth will eventually grant them immortality. 5) Isis Club - ISIS, on the other hand, is solely concerned with their members’ professional development. 6) ISIS - The Isis Club hasn’t referred to itself as a “caliphate” since at least 2004. 7) ISIS - The Isis Club respects the sovereignty of most nations.

Sources: The Harvard Crimson, The New York Times, NBC, washingtoninstitute.org, isisclub.org, The Independent

On CampusStudent GroupsStudent LifeLevityA Little Levity