Kele Proves He Is No One-Trick Pony

Kele-Trick-Lilac Records-4 STARS

By Courtesy Lilac Records
By Hunter C. Richards, Contributing Writer

On his second solo album, “Trick,” Kele Okereke has turned further away from his days of angsty punk rock and heavy lyrics in favor of beats and house music. The British singer continues to explore his artistic talents as a DJ while Bloc Party, of which he is former frontman and rhythm guitarist, is on their second hiatus. Dropping his surname for his solo career, Kele has produced a carefully balanced mixture of soulful rhythms and electronic beats to complement his profound lyrics on an eclectic but sometimes-inconsistent album.

Kele’s determination to create a sound that transcends a single genre and spans across the spectrum of his experiences comes through once more in “Trick.” A supporter of the notion that change is necessary to give art its purpose, Kele unsurprisingly pushes the boundaries and blends different influences to create an altogether new and unique sound. “Trick,” which Kele originally began recording in 2012 while still touring with Bloc Party, integrates diverse styles in a welcome and smooth manner that feels fresh and interesting.

This diversity appears most obviously in Kele’s vocal delivery. The juxtaposition of ethereal backing vocals and Kele’s heavily concentrated vocals submits listeners to a diverse, captivating, and sometimes overwhelming combination of sensations and sounds. Throughout the album, Kele cultivates his vocal performance by blending genres and creating a new experience altogether that no individual sect of music generates.

A gay, black man coming from what he describes as a conservative and unwelcoming atmosphere of indie rock, Kele has decided to move in a completely different direction towards the more comfortable genre of house music. The accepting environment of the electronic music scene was the stimulus for Kele’s creation of “Trick” as an album of confessions on which he is able to express his individual pursuits and passions while also bringing to light his own experiences from which he was once sheltered.

Personal expressions, such as yearning for another and a sense of loneliness or loss, are prevalent on “Trick.” “Coasting” uses the beat to simulate the falling and floating sensation of infatuation, supported by lyrics that lay the groundwork for the beginning of an intense love. An empowering message of how love gives strength, “Doubt” is a more commanding track delivered by Kele’s confident and strong vocals, and the heavier beat is easy to follow. That longing for reciprocated affection and physical presence of a former lover is explored in “Closer,” which alternates between upbeat pop and smooth R&B, flattering the tone of the lyrics. This synergy carries through in “Like We Used to,” where Kele’s ethereal vocals paired with the thumping beat gives a sensual tone to his nostalgic lyricism, reminiscent of better times in a relationship. The tracks on “Trick” serve to create a cohesive storyline, and Kele is able to recreate the expanse of a relationship to the listener.

The intimate tone and content of “Trick” help create a smooth and rhythmic dance feel that is supported by a subdued balance between hyped-up beats and catchy lyrics. His lyricism and rhythm become repetitive at several points on the album, but this repetition serves the purpose of keeping the listener engaged and the beat danceable. The lengthy pauses that appear in all the tracks can add to the atmosphere that Kele creates, but sometimes the stark contrast between light and heavy beats begins to bore and become distracting.

Indeed, the content of “Trick” feels disjointed at times, as the tracks waver between deep, unobtrusive expressions of loneliness and longing and choppy compositions that feel trapped between fast beats and slow vocals. “Silver and Gold” is marred by clipped sounds and off-putting interjections that detract from the deep and confident expressions Kele conveys through his vocals and lyrics. While the track pulls you in, it also introduces a stumbling, disconcerting beat that seems to trip over itself. The same disoriented feeling from these out-of-place sounds laid over the music are seen in “Doubt,” again detracting from Kele’s powerful lyrics and vocals.

But the real strength of “Trick” is individuality. Kele has allowed each track to stand on its own, though within each song is ample repetition. However, it is impressive that “Trick” is able to get across an emotional message while still flowing to a beat that, for the most part, complements the vocals. When listening to “Trick,” it is obvious that the album is intended to be danced to, but Kele does not let the album’s energy consume its purpose, giving each track a meaning that is apparent upon closer listening but not too complicated to be uninviting. Kele’s talent has proved itself again, combining original and ingenious blends of genres to make his own unique piece.

MusicArts