Former Kirkland Tutor To Become State Senator

Eric P. Lesser ’07, a Kirkland House tutor and third year student at Harvard Law School, secured the Massachusetts State Senate seat for the First Hampden and Hampshire District.
By Karl M. Aspelund, Crimson Staff Writer

UPDATED: November 5, 2014, at 12:39 a.m.

Eric P. Lesser ’07, a Kirkland House tutor and third year student at Harvard Law School, secured the Massachusetts State Senate seat for the First Hampden and Hampshire District. By Courtesy of Eric Lesser

On Tuesday, former Kirkland House tutor Eric P. Lesser ’07 secured the Massachusetts State Senate seat for the First Hampden and Hampshire District, which consists of eastern Springfield and surrounding towns.

Lesser was expected to do well after receiving high-profile Democratic endorsements on his behalf, most notably Senator Elizabeth Warren. He received 51 percent of the vote, according to the Associated Press, with 90 percent of precincts reporting.

A third year student at the Law School who resided in Kirkland during his time in the College, Lesser left in January to secure the Democratic nomination.

Many students and tutors who had been residing in Kirkland helped with the campaign this summer and fall, according to Kirkland House Master Tom C. Conley, who added that students from the Springfield area were excited to hear of his campaign.

In the spring, the House Masters hosted a fundraiser dinner for Lesser’s campaign in their residence.

—Staff writer Karl M. Aspelund can be reached at karl.aspelund@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @kma_crimson.

PoliticsAlumniState PoliticsMetro