Women's Water Polo Goes 3-1 in Weekend Action

By Ariel Smolik-Valles, Crimson Staff Writer

In the first home games of its 2014 campaign, the Harvard women’s water polo team (7-2) was able to build on its winning record behind strong performances from younger players. After dropping the first Saturday contest to Wagner, the Crimson came back with three straight wins against Sienna, Villanova, and Iona to close out the weekend.

HARVARD 13, IONA 7

In the third match up between the two teams this season, the Crimson sealed the sweep of the series behind a dominant offense.

Previously, both games against Iona had gone into overtime, but Harvard was able to put Sunday’s game away in regulation.

“We’ve always known we’re the better team, and the times we’ve gone into overtime, we let them come back and let them hang around with us,” freshman Michelle Martinelli said. “This time we had the mindset that we weren’t going to let them do that, and we were successful.”

The Crimson started the game off steadily with a 4-1 lead towards the end of the first quarter. But before the half was over, the Gaels scored three goals to bring themselves within one at halftime.

Late in the third quarter, Iona had the opportunity to tie the game at seven off of a steal, but a block from sophomore Yoshi Anderson allowed the Crimson to maintain its lead and momentum in the game.

For the remainder of the match, Harvard fended off the Gaels’ offense and went on a 6-1 run to earn the victory.

You see an improvement from two weeks ago to where we are today,” Harvard coach Ted Minnis said. “We came back from Princeton, we trained really hard, and we worked on some things. And the things we worked on to try and get better, we did [improve].”

HARVARD 14, VILLANOVA 7

After a game that began 1-1, Harvard pushed forward and went on a 7-0 run, leading, 8-1, with less than five minutes left in the first half.

“I think our five-on-six percentage was better, I think we did a better job on our drive defense, and we minimized the number of times we got ejected,” Minnis said.

In a play that cemented the Crimson’s lead, Anderson went one-on-one against the Wildcat goalie and was able to bounce a shot into the back of the net, putting Harvard up, 11-2.

Villanova did not give up towards the end of the first half, outscoring the Crimson, 5-3, down the stretch. A blocked shot by freshman Lexi Del Toro aided Harvard’s ability to seal the victory and come out on top.

HARVARD 19, SIENNA 8

In its second game on Saturday, the Crimson came out strong offensively, leading the game by three goals at the end of the first period.

The offensive domination continued into the second stanza of the match, where Harvard scored five unanswered goals.

“[Scoring 19 goals means] we’re going to get better,” Minnis said. “We’re a young team with five upperclassmen and 10 freshmen and sophomores in this group, so we’re a new team with a mix of experience and some young ones, so it’s still going to be a growing process.”

The Crimson saw offensive contributions from up and down the roster. Freshman Melissa Balding led the pack with four goals. Matinelli and senior Shayna Price both netted three, while junior Kalina Grabb and Del Toro each scored twice.

HARVARD 11, WAGNER 12

In its first game of the tournament, the Crimson faced the team that had handed Harvard its only loss of the season thus far. When the Crimson matched up against Wagner at the Princeton invite on Feb. 9, the team fell, 11-8, to the Seahawks.

This time, the game went down to the wire.

Tied at two goals apiece at the beginning of the first quarter, Harvard was able to score three goals, but each was matched by a Wagner player.

In the final minute of the first half, the Seahawks made a quick pass to the corner of the goal, and a shot by sophomore Jess Lundgren put Wagner up going into the half.

“We matched their physicality,” Minnis said. “We talked about how they were going to be physical…. That’s their style, and unless you’ve played against that, you don’t know what to expect, and I think [last time] we got caught on our heels. This time we knew what to expect.”

Wagner outscored the Crimson in the final frame of the match, 5-3, ultimately giving the Seahawks the edge.

Price led Harvard in scoring with five goals in the game. Sophomore Rachel Lobato had two steals, while classmate Charlotte Hendrix tallied three steals.

Junior Ariel Dukes made 10 saves in the loss.

In the first home games of its 2014 campaign, the Harvard women’s water polo team (7-2) was able to build on its winning record behind strong performances from younger players. After dropping the first game of Saturday to Wagner, the Crimson came back with three straight wins against Sienna, Villanova, and Iona to close out the weekend.

HARVARD 13, IONA 7

“We’ve always known we’re the better team, and the time’s we’ve gone into overtime, we let them come back and let them hang around with us,” freshman Michelle Martinelli said. “This time we had the mindset that we weren’t going to let them do that, and we were successful.”

You see an improvement from two weeks ago to where we are today,” Harvard coach Ted Minnis said. “We came back from Princeton, we trained really hard, and we worked on some things. And the things we worked on to try and get better we did.”

HARVARD 14, VILLANOVA 7

After a game that began 1-1, Harvard pushed forward and went on a 7-0 run, leading 8-1 with less than five minutes left in the first half.

“I think our five-on-six percentage was better, I think we did a better job on our drive defense, and we minimized the number of times we got ejected, so I think we did well,” Minnis said.

HARVARD 19, SIENNA 8

HARVARD 11, WAGNER 12

Tied two goals apiece at the beginning of the first quarter, Harvard was able to score three goals, but each was matched by a Wagner player.

—Staff writer Ariel Smolik-Valles can be reached at asmolikvalles@college.harvard.edu.

Women's Water PoloGame Stories