Mixed Results for Softball's Opening Weekend

By Ariel Smolik-Valles, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard softball team travelled south this weekend to open its season against tough competition in Fort Meyers, Florida.

Florida Gulf Coast 3, Harvard 1

In its final game of the weekend, the Crimson stayed close with the Eagles, but could not convert.

“It’s always tough not playing for six months and then playing some really good teams, but I think we found our stride as a team and [can] only progress from here,” junior infielder Emily Gusse said. “We played two really good teams in Florida Golf Coast and Arkansas, and we had a really good shot at winning both.”

Both teams were able to score in their opening looks at the plate, but Harvard’s bats went quiet after that, with four hits scattered over the next six innings.

Florida Gulf Coast crossed the plate twice in the bottom of the fifth to solidify the victory.

Junior pitcher Laura Ricciardone threw for the Crimson, giving up five hits, walking four, and striking out four.

Arkansas 9, Harvard 4

Facing a strong SEC team was too much for the Crimson to handle as the team dropped its first game on Sunday to the Razorbacks.

Freshman pitcher Taylor Cabe got the start for Harvard and held Arkansas to four runs over the first five innings but then surrendered five in the bottom of the sixth inning.

“Taylor’s great, she’s going to have an awesome career here,” Gusse said. “She has grit. She got the start and the complete game against Arkansas, who’s a crazy tough team to pitch because they have some huge girls who can hit the ball a long way.”

The Crimson’s offense came out strong in the first couple innings, scoring three runs in the first and one in the second. Those proved to be their only runs of the game as the team was held scoreless for the remainder of the matchup.

Harvard 7, North Dakota 4

The Crimson was able to look to its offense for Saturday’s victory against North Dakota.

Harvard recorded 10 hits in the game, half of which were for extra bases.

The biggest scoring inning came in the fifth when the Crimson crossed the plate four times on five hits and a UND error. The highlight of the inning was a double by senior outfielder Shelbi Olson that scored two runs.

“We have a ton of really great hitters on the team,” junior infielder Adrienne Hume said. “Once we all get in synch and have a few more games under our belt and play this upcoming weekend we’re really going to be unstoppable.”

Harvard tacked on three more runs in the top of the seventh inning on hits from Gusse, freshman catcher Lindsey Hagburg, junior catcher Katherine Applebe, and freshman pitcher Savannah Bradley.

Villanova 2, Harvard 1

Harvard’s defense was able to hold the Wildcats’ 10 hits to only two runs but could not muster enough offensive momentum to win the game overall.

Cabe started the game for the Crimson and pitched all seven innings, striking out seven and walking only one Villanova batter.

The Wildcats were held in the first inning after recording back to back this, but a string of three hits in the top of the second led to a run.

Harvard broke through the shutout in the fifth inning. With two on base from walks and two outs, Gusse singled, sending sophomore outfielder Zoe Galindo home to score.

The final inning of the game saw Villanova break the tie. With their leadoff hitter hit by a pitch, Wildcats second baseman Chase Snell belted a double into center field. A throwing error allowed the runner to score and put Villanova ahead.

Harvard 3, Eastern Michigan 0

In its opening game of the season, Harvard was able to keep its opponents bats at bay behind the strong arm of Ricciardone.

Ricciardone recorded a three hit shoutout against the Eagles, allowing them two singles and a double over seven innings of play. Ricciardone spread four walks throughout the game and struck out eight in the victory.

“It’s nice to be behind Laura on the mound when she’s out there and doing her job well,” Gusse said. “She works the corners and works on the mound and we’re lucky to play behind her.”

The Harvard offense awoke in the second inning. The combination of a walk, a perfectly executed sacrifice bunt, and a single by Applebe brought Gusse in to score the first run of the game for the Crimson.

The Harvard offense was not done yet, as senior third baseman Kasey Lange reached first on a fielder’s choice and advanced 60 feet on an Eastern Michigan throwing error. Gusse singled later that inning, sending Lange to third. A passed ball allowed Lange to cross the plate for the Crimson’s final run of the game.

—Staff writer Ariel Smolik-Valles can be reached at asmolikvalles@college.harvard.edu.

SoftballGame Stories