Sailing Qualifies for Nationals

By Tanner Skenderian, Crimson Staff Writer

The No. 13 Harvard coed sailing team made big advances this weekend in the Coast Guard Bowl and New England Dinghy Championship. Taking ninth place out of 18 teams racing, the Crimson successfully qualified for semifinals for nationals and returned home with three members recognized as All-NEISA sailors.

The regatta took place in New Haven where Yale, the host, took first place with 111 points. Harvard’s combined score of 248 put the team in ninth.

Senior Isabel Ruane, junior Brian Drumm, and sophomore Jake Bradt were all named All-NEISA sailors on Sunday as a result of their performances across both divisions in the regatta.

“They all put up tremendous performances to earn these honors,” sophomore captain Andrew Mollerus said. “But their results and the team's success are the product of the hard work of over 30 people this past semester. I am incredibly proud of each and every member of our team. They all put in the reps and fostered the culture which made this possible.”

The B division, with Ruane, Brian’s twin Michael Drumm, and senior Luke O’Connor, finished in fifth place. Brian Drumm joined Bradt in the A division which finished in 13th.

“Our B division boat sailed incredibly well in some tough conditions, which ultimately allowed us to move on to nationals,” Bradt said. “However, Brian and I despite having sailed well against some of the top schools in NEISA previously in the season, felt as though our performance was lacking at times.”

According to Bradt, his pair struggled most with its starts.

“We were trying to be more conservative in this regatta,” he said. “We had trouble getting off the starting line.”

Despite shifty conditions in New Haven, the two-day competition was only delayed once due to lack of wind on Saturday.

The Crimson has a few weeks off before the first stage of nationals commences.

“We are looking forward to the opportunity to shed academic commitments and the rigors of the semester while preparing for nationals,” Mollerus said. “The team has the culture, drive, and commitment to make anything possible in May.”

—Staff writer Tanner Skenderian can be reached at tskenderian@college.harvard.edu.

SailingGame Stories