During IOP Chat, Liberian President Weighs Concern, Optimism about Ebola Outbreak

Dyann Wirth, Co-chair of the Infectious Diseases Initiative at the Broad Institute, speaks to the audience alongside Michael VanRooyen, the director of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, and Sheila Burke, a faculty research fellow at the Kennedy School.
By Forrest K. Lewis, Crimson Staff Writer

Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf expressed concern about the long-term effects of the current West African Ebola epidemic during a live video chat at the Institute of Politics on Tuesday.

While Sirleaf, an alumna of the Kennedy School of Government, said the current epidemic has "surpassed our capacity to respond," she added that she remains optimistic about recent efforts to control the spread of the virus.

President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf of Liberia, appearing on screen above Kennedy School lecturer Sheila Burke and public health professors Michael VanRooyen and Dyann Wirth, speaks at the Institute of Politics via Skype. The four congregated for a panel discussion on the international response to Ebola.
President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf of Liberia, appearing on screen above Kennedy School lecturer Sheila Burke and public health professors Michael VanRooyen and Dyann Wirth, speaks at the Institute of Politics via Skype. The four congregated for a panel discussion on the international response to Ebola. By Y. Kit Wu

The current outbreak of Ebola—a contagious disease that causes internal hemorrhaging and death—originated in Guinea in March and has since spread to Liberia and Sierra Leone. It is the largest ever documented outbreak of the disease. As of September 5, 3,960 cases of Ebola have been identified in the region by the World Health Organization, and the virus has caused 2,105 deaths, according to Kennedy School lecturer Sheila P. Burke, who moderated the forum. The number may also be far greater due to unreported cases, Burke said.

According to Sirleaf, the epicenter of the Ebola outbreak in Liberia lies in the capital city of Monrovia, whereas Ebola in the other West African countries has been contained mostly to rural areas, making the situation particularly serious in infected areas in Liberia due to higher population density.

Sirleaf also noted that deeply rooted Liberian cultural traditions and “strong religious feelings” regarding treatment of the dead could be responsible for exacerbating the quick spread of the disease.

Despite 700 confirmed deaths in Liberia—over 40 of those from health workers attempting to treat infected patients—Sirleaf, citing doctors that have been evacuated and treated in U.S. hospitals, said that there is still hope. Given recently enacted travel bans, containment efforts, and improved health care, Sirleaf said that the epidemic may continue to spread for the next two to three weeks and then hopefully stabilize.

“It remains a very grave situation,” Sirleaf said. “It is taking a long time to respond effectively. But now we have set in motion some of those measures that are shaping to see results.”

Looking ahead, Sirleaf added she is “very concerned” about the long-term economic implications of the virus. Many of the large organizations and corporations in Liberia have been forced to either slow operations or shut down, and cross-border trade has been limited, according to Sirleaf.

Following the question-and-answer session with Sirleaf, the conversation switched over to T. H. Chan School of Public Health Professors Michael J. VanRooyen and Dyann F. Wirth.

Wirth, a global leader in malaria research, said that there is significant work being done in the development of a vaccine for the disease, with two options currently in accelerated trials.

VanRooyen, director of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, added that the World Health Organization’s classification of the Ebola outbreak as an international emergency came weeks too late, after the disease had already done irreparable damage.

—Staff writer Forrest K. Lewis can be reached at forrest.lewis@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @ForrestKLewis.

IOPPoliticsHealthHarvard Kennedy SchoolSchool of Public HealthGlobal HealthUniversity News