Number of UC Hopefuls Increases by 20 Percent

By Nadia X. Haile
By Noah J. Delwiche, Crimson Staff Writer

One hundred and three undergraduates have declared candidacies for 44 open spots on the Undergraduate Council, marking a nearly 20 percent increase from the number of candidates in last year’s elections.

The election data, provided to The Crimson by UC Elections Commissions chair Matthew C. Estes ’18, reveal the highest number of candidate declarations in at least three years, according to UC President Gus A. Mayopoulos '15.

While Estes and Mayopoulos both expressed excitement at what they believe will be competitive elections,  the spike in candidates came only after the UC extended the deadline for all undergraduates to submit their intention to run and platform from noon to midnight last Friday.

By the time the original deadline had expired, only one undergraduate had submitted a platform for the three open spots in Pforzheimer House, according to Estes. Six more candidates submitted platforms following the extension.

Estes said that he and the Elections Commission granted the extension because they share a desire with the UC to “have as fair and competitive a race as possible.” Mayopoulos added that the UC often grants such extensions.

As in previous years, the most competitive races will be held among freshmen candidates, with 14, 10, 13, and nine first year students running for three spots in Crimson, Elm, Ivy, and Oak Yards, respectively.

In Dunster House, however, only three students will compete for three spots, meaning that, notwithstanding campaign violations or write-in candidates, the three on the ballot will be elected. In all other Houses, the number of candidates running equals or exceeds the number of vacancies, indicating that all UC openings will be filled.

Mayopoulos pointed to the overall growth in candidate numbers as indicative of what he says was the UC’s increased visibility last year.

Referring to the joke campaign he ran on with Samuel B. Clark '15 in the UC presidential elections last year, Mayopoulos acknowledged that the “energy boost” he believed that campaign created might help to explain the increased competition in this year’s elections.

Addressing the broader trend of fewer upperclassman candidates than freshman candidates, Mayopoulos said he did not believe fewer upperclassmen run for UC positions because of less faith in the effectiveness of the body, but rather due to busier schedules.

“I think it’s very possible that upperclassmen are more jaded with the UC and don't see the UC as effective, but I don't believe that that explains why there are more freshman candidates as opposed to upperclassmen candidates,” he said.

Voting for the UC will open at noon on Wednesday and run until noon on Friday.

—Staff writer Noah J. Delwiche can be reached at noah.delwiche@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @ndelwiche.

Undergraduate CouncilHouse LifeFreshmenCollege News