Klein To Lead 143rd Crimson Guard

Klein to serve as President, Bernhard as Managing Editor, Wedlund as Business Manager

Mariel A. Klein ‘17 will serve as President of The Harvard Crimson next semester.
By Crimson News Staff

Mariel A. Klein ’17 will lead the newly elected 143rd Guard of The Harvard Crimson, the organization’s President announced on Friday.

Klein will be The Crimson’s first female President since 2007, and three women will lead the newspaper for the first time since 2004.

Mariel A. Klein ‘17 will serve as President of The Harvard Crimson next semester. By Michelle M. Ng

Klein, a Government concentrator from Portland, Ore., and a Lowell House resident, currently serves as a news writer for The Crimson. As a reporter covering Harvard’s Central Administration, Klein has led the paper’s coverage of the University’s ongoing record-seeking capital campaign as well as the leadership of University President Drew G. Faust. Klein will assume the President’s post in January.

The paper’s outgoing editors elected their successors early Friday morning. The Crimson’s current President, Steven S. Lee ’16, shared the results with The Crimson's staff soon after.

“The 143rd Guard is a phenomenal group of leaders, who I am absolutely confident have the talent and drive to take great steps forward for The Crimson in the coming year,” Lee said Friday evening.

The Crimson’s Managing Editor-elect, Meg P. Bernhard ’17, is a news writer who covers the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. She will oversee the production of The Crimson’s daily newspaper, two magazines, and blogs.

Leia N. Wedlund ’17, an advertising manager for The Crimson, will take the helm of its finances and operations as Business Manager.

Founded in 1873, The Crimson is the only daily newspaper in Cambridge, Mass., and the oldest continuously published daily college newspaper.

The Crimson chooses its leaders through an election process known as the Turkey Shoot, in which all outgoing executives are invited to participate. A successful candidate must receive at least 75 percent of the vote to be elected to a given position.

Joining Klein, Bernhard, and Wedlund on the masthead are:

Associate Managing Editors: Noah J. Delwiche ’17 and Ivan B. K. Levingston ’17

Associate Business Managers: M. Hanl Park ’18 and Michael B. Sacks ’17

Editorial Chairs: Nelson L. Barrette ’17 and Ryan P. O’Meara ’18

Arts Chairs: Ha D. H. Le ’17 and Victoria Lin ’17

Blog Chairs: Katherine J. Cohen ’18 and Eva S. Monroe ’18

Design Chairs: Nadia X. Haile ’17 and Ashley Zhou ’17

FM Chairs: Lena K. Felton ’17 and Maia R. Silber ’17

Multimedia Chairs: Thomas W. Frank ’17 and Sidni M. Frederick ’17

Sports Chairs: Julio C. Fierro ’17 and Ariel Smolik-Valles ’17

The Harvard Crimson