Softball Finishes 2-3 at Season-Opening Tourney

By Ariel Smolik-Valles, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard softball team opened its 2015 season this weekend in Madeira Beach, Fla., with a slate of five games over the course of three days. The Crimson went 2-3 at the EMU Madeira Beach Spring Invitational.

ROBERT MORRIS 2, HARVARD 1 (8 innings)

The final game of the weekend came down to a walk-off two-run home run in the bottom of the eighth, wrapping up a pitchers’ duel that saw a both teams combine for a total of only seven hits over the course of the eight innings.

Sophomore pitcher Taylor Cabe suffered her first loss of the season after Eagles catcher Lauren Hackett sent a pitch over the left field fence with one of her teammates on second base. Heading into the eighth inning, Robert Morris (6-3) was held to three hits.

Through the first two games, Cabe’s ERA is 2.28.

TEXAS STATE 9, HARVARD 2

After giving up six runs in the top of the first, the Crimson struggled to remain in the game as the Bobcats (9-7) continued to score runs into the seventh inning.

The loss came by the arm of senior right hander Laura Ricciardone. Following the first inning, junior Morgan Groom came on in relief of Ricciardone, throwing 4.1 scoreless innings before being lifted in favor of senior Gabrielle Ruiz.

“Seeing all the pitchers throw was a really good starting point in the season,” junior second baseman Katie Lantz said. “They were facing batters that already had 20 games under their belt and they still all did a great job.”

UAB 12, HARVARD 6

Despite a very productive offensive effort by the Crimson, the Blazers (9-5) were able to answer on all accounts, doubling the runs scored by Harvard.

Junior catcher Katherine Appelbe led the Crimson offense with two hits and three RBIs, including a double and a triple. Appelbe ended the weekend with a .400 average, going 4-for-10 in the batter’s box while recording two singles, a double, and a triple.

“It was great to see the defense come out really strong and the offense come out even stronger,” Lantz said. “At the end of the second day we had scored 22 runs on offense. That to me is a strong performance.”

HARVARD 8, VILLANOVA 3

Heading into the fourth inning down 3-1, the Crimson offense exploded, taking back the lead given up to the Wildcats (1-4) in the bottom of the first and setting the pace for the rest of the game. With the bases loaded and the team down two runs, senior outfielder Andrea Del Conte was able to pound a single down the left field line to clear the bases and give Harvard the lead it needed.

Sophomore infielder Catherine Callaway led the team with three hits in the contest, along with scoring a run and driving in an RBI.

In the circle, Cabe notched the first win of her sophomore campaign, throwing all seven innings, allowing three runs on seven hits.

HARVARD 8, WICHITA STATE 0 (5 innings)

The opening game of the weekend proved to be Harvard’s strongest performance, as the team outperformed the Shockers (7-7) en route to an 8-0 win.

The Crimson tacked on a run in each of the two opening innings, but was able to break open the door in the fourth, scoring six runs to seal the game by mercy rule.

Leading the Harvard offense was senior shortstop Emily Gusse, who had three hits in the game, including the game’s only triple. Freshman outfielder Maddy Kaplan and Callaway both homered for the team, with Kaplan tallying two RBIs.

“This weekend showed us a lot about the team that we’re shaping up to be and what we need to work on,” Gusse said. “We’re starting to figure out what works out together in the time before we start conference play. In reality we want to use all 22 of our players and we’re trying to find the best way to make that happen.”

—Staff writer Ariel Smolik-Valles can be reached at asmolikvalles@college.harvard.edu.

Softball