Editorials

Bettering our Academic Approach to Snow Days

Harvard’s Responses Have Been Good, But Could Be Even Better

By The Crimson Staff

In 1977, former Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III joked, “Harvard University will only close for an act of God, such as the end of the world.” Though never official policy, this quip has taken on a degree of truth. Over the past four decades, Harvard has cancelled classes just seven times due to snow. This semester’s three snow days, however, represent a clear break with the past. While the university’s safety-centered response to this year’s record-breaking snow was the right one in all respects, it has also revealed the need to develop policies to counter the academic challenges that snow days present.

As Boston saw 65 inches of snow and a declared statewide emergency over 30 days, Harvard properly prioritized the safety of students, faculty, and staff by cancelling non-critical operations. The University also took into account logistical concerns, such as public transportation closings. Though schools like Boston College in more suburban areas were able to open while the T remained closed, Harvard’s urban setting rendered that option impossible.  Furthermore, the processes behind the university’s decisions were sound. Twenty-four to forty-eight hours before each storm, a range of administrators held multiple conference calls to discuss the response.

That said, Harvard’s snow day policies still have some room for improvement in the realm of academics. Class cancellations have posed major challenges for students and faculty. Because professors often meticulously plan their syllabi, just one missed lecture during the 14-week semester can throw off a course plan. Both students and professors have felt this effect after each snow day produced a scramble to reschedule classes. Dean of Student Life Stephen Lassonde wrote in an email, “We’re a residential college and we’re running out of days to make up missed classes.”

In order to diminish similar academic challenges in the future, Harvard should take preemptive action. One key measure is equipping and encouraging professors to lecture over the Internet. Given the proper infrastructure, this would easily ensure that necessary material is covered. Additionally, the university should devise more comprehensive contingency plans to accommodate classes that need rescheduling so  that students and faculty have clear expectations.

Formulating these plans would not only keep courses on track, but would also reduce much of the immense academic pressure to keep classes scheduled in the face of inclement weather and thereby allow Harvard to focus even more on its commitment to the safety of its students, faculty, and staff.

Editorials