Hear Me Out: 'Worship'

By Molly R. Cinnamon, Contributing Writer

It’s been a quick maturation process for British synthpop trio Years & Years; since 2012, the group has gone through its fair share of growing pains, slimming down from five members to three when they lost electronic musicians Noel Leeman and Oliver Subria and struggling through the release of a bevy of promising but flawed EPs. In their new song, “Worship,” the band shows that they have weathered the storm. The first single from their anticipated June debut studio album, “Communion,” the song showcases the ability of Years & Years to stick to the tenets of their smooth electro-pop style while refining their sound.

Courtesy of Kitsuné

The band officially received their indie stamp of approval early last year when they were signed by Kitsuné, the French label that launched electro-pop giants such as Phoenix and Cut Copy. Their third single,“Real,” quickly received attention for its its driving beat and sensuous R&B lyrics and helped to define the band as a power player in the indie-dance genre. “Worship” is a slight departure from “Real”: It is more fully fleshed out and embraces rhythms more emblematic of catchy pop than experimental electronic sounds. Whereas “Real” seems to be the right soundtrack for a cruise down the Pacific Coast Highway, with its drawn-out chords and humming lyrics, “Worship” would integrate seamlessly into a night of debauchery and dancing; its rhythm is instantly stirring, striking the delicate balance between pulsating beats and asynchronous synths.

“Worship” wastes no time in introducing the listener to a steady, solid beat that is complemented by lead singer Olly Alexander’s crooning words: “I’m holy, I want you to know it / Blind devotion / I’m holy, I want you to know it / And you’ll be my sacrifice.” Alexander’s words are hypnotizing at first listen but are complex when examined further: Are his chants to his object of affection beautifully worshipful or chilling? This apparent theme of religion is mirrored by the chanting hypnosis of the song, which contrasts murky synth with raging beats until the ambiguity of track becomes overwhelming. If “Worship” is any indication, the music community is in for quite a baptism at the hands of Years & Years.

MusicArts