Central Title IX Office Hires Second Investigator

By Noah J. Delwiche, Crimson Staff Writer

Almost a year after its creation, Harvard’s central sexual harassment investigation office has hired a second full-time investigator, although it still remains understaffed.

Amidst growing debate over its approach to handling sexual assault on campus and two federal probes into its compliance with anti-sex discrimination law Title IX, University leaders unveiled last July a new policy and set of procedures to overhaul Harvard’s investigation process. Among the most notable changes was the creation of the University-wide Office of Sexual and Gender Based Dispute Resolution, which would lead investigations of alleged policy violations across individual schools under centralized investigation procedures.

The office, although initially praised by student activists, quickly came under criticism as it remained understaffed. From the start of the academic year through April, the office had filled only one of its three full-time investigator positions and was relying on contractual work to manage its caseload.

On May 18, Ilissa Povich began work as the office’s second investigator, according to University Title IX Officer Mia Karvonides. Povich, who is a graduate of Duke University and Harvard Law School, has for the past 10 months worked with lead investigator William D. McCants as a contractor for ODR.

The office has also made “significant headway” on hiring the third investigator, according to an emailed statement from University spokesperson Tania deLuzuriaga on behalf of Karvonides.

Additionally, the University’s Title IX Office is now soliciting applications for a “Title IX associate.” According to a job posting, the associate’s duties will include assisting the lead investigator as well as developing and implementing Title IX training at the University.

The lack of full-time staff at ODR, which investigated more cases of alleged sexual harassment this academic year than the University saw across all schools in 2013-2014, has prompted criticism from students. In a show of satirical criticism, undergraduates from Our Harvard Can Do Better, a student activist group, hosted a bake sale in December to raise money for the understaffed office.

Harvard affiliates have not only criticized ODR on the grounds of perceived staffing delays. In October, a group of 28 Law School professors condemned the University’s new Title IX policy and procedures in an open letter in the Boston Globe, arguing that the investigative process was “overwhelmingly stacked against the accused.” By late December, the Law School had adopted its own set of Title IX procedures that circumvent ODR and break away from the centralized investigatory model.

—Staff writer Noah J. Delwiche can be reached at noah.delwiche@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @ndelwiche.

UniversityUniversity NewsSexual AssaultTitle IX