Student Groups Rally Undergrads In Harvard-Yale ‘Spirit Week’

By Jordan E. Virtue, Contributing Writer

Ahead of Saturday’s Harvard-Yale football game, events meant to bolster school spirit have swept Houses and the Yard to rally Harvard’s campus for the annual festivities.

With Facebook filters and “H” sweaters, undergraduates seek to rouse the College behind a hoped-for Harvard victory.

Groups like the Undergraduate Council, the College Events Board, and the First-Year Social Committee have all planned Harvard-Yale themed events, in addition to events planned by the College’s Office of Student Life and the Freshman Dean’s Office. While some programs are Harvard-Yale traditions—like the Harvard Glee Club’s Harvard-Yale Football Concert, now in its 117th year—others are happening for the first time this year.

One such event is “HYpe,” a dance in Memorial Hall open to both Harvard and Yale undergraduates that will take place Friday night.

HYpe was inspired by a biennial Harvard-Yale dance at Toad’s Place nightclub in New Haven, Conn., according to Jackson Grigsby ’20, co-chair of the CEB’s committee to plan “spirit week” events for the Game.

“We really wanted to bring something like that here,” Grigsby said.

In addition to the dance, Grigsby said HYpe will feature food trucks and a bonfire in the Science Center Plaza. Grigsby compared the event to last month’s “Haunted Hall,” a College-wide dance in Annenberg several days before Halloween.

“We’re just taking even a step up from Haunted Hall and really ensuring that this is an unforgettable event,” Grigsby said.

The CEB also arranged daily giveaways in the Science Center Plaza throughout the week. Some students, for example, danced in front of passersby alongside students dressed as Harvard’s and Yale’s mascots to win exclusive Harvard-Yale t-shirts.

According to Marie-Elizabeth Keil ’14, a fellow at the FDO, the FYSC spent several weeks planning this year’s freshman tailgate, which is set for Saturday morning at the Beren Tennis Center, and ordered hundreds of temporary tattoos and custom foam fingers for the occasion. At the tailgate, students will also be able to win water bottles, hats, and scarves from the Harvard Coop, Keil said.

“The FYSC is really excited to welcome the Class of 2020, which for most of them is their first football game,” Keil said. “It’s just a nice chance to see everyone, drink some hot cocoa, stay warm, and have fun in a safe environment.”

Other student groups are also attempting to harness school spirit with a variety of planned arts events on Friday and Saturday nights. On Friday, the Glee Club will perform Harvard’s original fight songs in its annual concert, and on Saturday, Harvard and Yale music groups are planning a “talent showcase.”

“It’s just cool to meet people at Yale who are involved in the same things as we are,” said Nina C. Sapers ’17, a member of the Harvard Stand-up Comic Society, which also has a show planned for Friday night.

Several students who will be watching the Game at Harvard for the first time said they were excitement for the weekend.

“I’m looking forward to it because I’ll have somewhere to sleep this year,” said Joseph Zuckerman ’19, a member of the CEB.

CollegeFootballEventsYaleCollege News