Hutchins Challenge Raises $50 million for House Renewal

By Ignacio Sabate, Crimson Staff Writer

A fundraising challenge established by prominent Harvard donor Glenn H. Hutchins ’77 has earned more than $50 million for House renewal at the College, according to a press release.

The challenge was established in 2012 after the Hutchins family donated $30 million for House renewal and was intended to encourage alumni and Harvard affiliates to donate to House renovation efforts. Hutchins’ foundation matched funds from donors who pledge their support, and with the recent announcement the challenge is now complete.

The gifts are part of Harvard’s ongoing $6.5 billion capital campaign—a University-wide fundraising effort now more than two years into its public stage. $400 million of that total is dedicated to House renewal.

Harvard’s campaign passed the $6 billion mark last semester, with the House renewal priority earning $179 million as of August—fundraising that has been relatively slow compared to other areas. While Harvard has gained momentum after record-breaking gifts, including a donation that renamed the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, University President Drew G. Faust said in September she has no plans to raise the campaign’s target.

The donated funds will be used over the coming years to help modernize some of the undergraduate Houses’ rooms, common spaces, and dining spaces.

In 2013 Quincy House opened its doors to residents of the House after 15 months of construction to Stone Hall, and a year later, renovations were completed in Leverett House’s McKinlock Hall. Dunster House recently underwent full renovation and opened last fall. Winthrop and Lowell House are slated to undergo similar renovations over the next few years.

—Staff writer Ignacio Sabate can be reached at ignacio.sabate@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @ignacio_sabate.

CollegeHouse LifeCollege AdministrationCollege FinanceHouse RenewalCapital Campaign