Men's Ice Hockey to Fight for the Ancient Eight Title

With the Ivy League title on the line, the Crimson welcomes rival No. 16/- Cornell and Colgate to the Bright-Landry Center this weekend.
With the Ivy League title on the line, the Crimson welcomes rival No. 16/- Cornell and Colgate to the Bright-Landry Center this weekend. By Mark Kelsey
By Kurt T. Bullard, Crimson Staff Writer

UPDATED: February 19, 2016, at 5:02 a.m.

After starting the month as the No. 7/7 squad in the country, the No. 13/13 Harvard men’s hockey team has slipped down the national rankings in recent weeks. In February, the Crimson has lost four of its six games, including defeats at the hands of unranked Northeastern and RPI. Three points separate the team from losing its position of notching a first-round bye in the ECAC Tournament.

This weekend does not make matters any easier.

With the Ivy League title on the line, the Crimson welcomes rival No. 16/- Cornell and Colgate to the Bright-Landry Center, as the squad looks to reverse course and secure its spot atop the ECAC standings.

“We know coming down the stretch that these games will be tough,” Harvard coach Ted Donato '91 said. “And going into the playoffs, [the games will] be emotional, there will be overtimes, there will be a lot of energy spent.”

Skating at home has not seemed to give the Crimson (14-8-3, 10-5-3 ECAC) a boost against the Big Red (12-8-5, 7-7-4) in recent years, as Cornell has taken the last seven matchups in Cambridge. Cornell perhaps benefits from the mobility of the Big Red faithful, who have been known to make their presence known in the annual rivalry game at the Bright. Hopes are high for Harvard as a win would secure the Ivy League title, an accolade that has eluded the has eluded the Crimson’s grasp over the last 10 years.

“We’ve got a big four points [this] week,” freshman Ryan Donato said. “Hopefully we’ll clinch the Ivy League.”

Cornell, much like the Crimson, has had a February to forget. After playing No. 1/1 Quinnipiac to a draw, the Big Red has only notched one win this month—a narrow 1-0 victory against cellar-dweller Princeton. The defense has propped up Cornell into the national ranks, as the defensive unit has allowed just over two goals per game in league play.

Cornell lacks an offensive star, as freshman Mitch Vanderlaan leads the squad with only six conference goals. The Big Red’s top three goal-scorers in conference play have combined for 16 goals in ECAC contests, only two more than co-captain Jimmy Vesey has in conference play alone. Last year’s Hobey Baker finalist, however, did not play in the Crimson's previous game against Union due to a lower body injury.

“We’re hopeful it’s nothing too serious,” Ted Donato said. “The powers at be decided that there was a chance to maybe give a few days.”

Harvard handled its business earlier in the year in Ithaca, scoring the first three goals of the contest en route to a 6-2 win. The Crimson had six different goal scorers in the game, with all four classes represented. Sophomore goaltender Merrick Madsen, who has experienced some trouble as of late manning the net, saved all but two of the 20 shots he faced in Lynah Rink.

“When he looks [comfortable and calm], it really relaxes the bench and allows our guys to play with a little more confidence,” Ted Donato said. “Obviously he’s an important part.”

This weekend will mark the first time in February in which the Crimson did not have to suit up for a Monday game earlier in the week. Harvard will look to draw upon the extra rest in this pivotal matchup.

“We’ve played a lot of emotional hockey over the past two, three weeks,” Ted Donato said. “So just getting back into a little bit of a normal routine...will get some guys healthy and strong.”

After the Ivy League title is settled, the Crimson will take on a Colgate (8-20-2, 4-12-2) team that is two points from the bottom of the conference standings. The Raiders have failed to get going on offense in conference play, as the squad is the only team in the ECAC that is averaging less than two goals per conference tilt. The point-leader for the Raiders is senior Tyson Spink, who has notched 11 points in conference play—only good for 30th in the ECAC.

The defense is not faring much better. The Raiders are conceding slightly less than three goals per game in conference play, which is the fourth-worst rate in the league.

Harvard, meanwhile, has maintained its strong power play unit from last season. The Crimson once again leads the ECAC in man-advantage conversion with a 32.7 percent conversion rate.

—Staff writer Kurt Bullard can be reached at kurt.bullard@thecrimson.com.

PreviewsMen's Ice Hockey