Editorials

Loosening Up UC Funding

The absolute ban on UC-sponsored events during reading period should go

By The Crimson Editorial Board

Last month, the Undergraduate Council revoked funding from four student groups that had received the support for events planned during reading period. The UC Finance Committee cited miscommunication for the error: According to an agreement with the Office of Student Life, the UC is not permitted to distribute funds from the annual $75 Student Activities fee during shopping period, reading period, and finals. But following these events, some members of the Finance Committee said that they would push to change that rule.

At the core of the funding rule, according to Finance Committee Chair William A. Greenlaw ‘17, is the concern that “given unlimited time, people will throw a lot of events and not do work.” During the three periods of the year when UC funding is barred, the College fears that students lack their regular level of commitments and could be inclined to spend their time in the wrong places.

This reasoning, however, falls short on several fronts. First, students are the best judges of their own time. Throughout the semester, students juggle organization events on top of heavy workloads—a reality perhaps best reflected during midterm season. House and organization formals already factor into students’ schedule during reading period, and there’s no reason to think that additional events would render students unable to manage their time.

Of course, student events should not proliferate during reading period—if anything, that would represent an inefficient use of student funding. But the UC’s proposed fix, which would allow funding for the first weekend of reading period and the annual Arts First festival, is a smart compromise. Relaxing the rule so that Arts First performances are included would be a particularly welcome change. Three Harvard-Radcliffe Dramatic Club productions ran afoul of the current rule this semester for performances during Arts First, which occurs during reading period. Put simply, HRDC and other arts organizations should not be penalized because the Office of the Arts encourages events to take place during the Arts First festival.

The College should further note that UC-funded events could supplement students’ preparations for finals week. With libraries across campus packed, reading period is among the most stressful times of the semester. Study breaks and other wellness events could help support students at this time.

A final reason to support a more relaxed reading period funding rule is the continuing effort to restore on-campus events to the center of the College's social life. Off-campus organizations with private streams of funding are currently the most-equipped for social events during this period, which can only serve to further polarize the social scene. Giving student groups some support at the beginning of reading period may help create more opportunities for on-campus socializing at the end of the semester.

Ultimately, the UC and the Office of Student Life have many compelling reasons to make the reading period funding rules more flexible. Doing so will recognize students' ability to plan their time, help arts groups participate in an annual tradition, reduce stress, and give on-campus groups more resources for social events. Balancing academics and extracurricular activities is crucial, but a small adjustment in favor of more funding may very well decrease student stress and make the beginning of reading period more enjoyable for all.

Editorials