Viva Viviano

The Crimson offense has a new leader this year.
By Jack Stockless, Crimson Staff Writer

Sometimes, things are just meant to be.

Despite breaking bones in both his left and right feet in separate incidents within the past year, senior quarterback Joe Viviano finds himself at the helm of Harvard’s offense for the 2016 season.

Yet, needless to say, the Berwyn, Pa. resident’s path to the starting job certainly has not been a linear one.

Despite being recruited heavily out of high school, Viviano—like many freshmen—did not see game action during his inaugural year in Cambridge. One season later, the young quarterback did make it to the field but only to throw one pass and record three carries in relief. That said, it was last season that was perhaps the most trying for the 6’5” signal caller.

Heading into camp, Viviano was expected to provide a strong challenge to fellow quarterback Scott Hosch ’16. But suddenly, Viviano’s career stagnated. Before coach Tim Murphy had to choose his 2015 week one starter, Viviano suffered another setback in the preseason, falling victim to a foot injury in the waning weeks of preseason.

Given the fact that injured feet could spell trouble for a quarterback like Viviano, who relies almost as much on his legs as he does on his arm, it would not have been a surprise to see an intense battle for the starting job this fall.

However, Viviano has been a special talent in Murphy’s eyes for a long time now, and his impressive performance throughout the preseason led the coach to suspend the competition and choose Viviano to suit up against Rhode Island in the opener.

“He’s had multiple setbacks – very challenging ones that have been frustrating for us and even more frustrating for him – but there’s never been any ‘woe is me,’” Murphy said. “He’s bounced right back. He’s got a short memory, and he’s fought through it. That’s what you want from the leader of your offense.”

Along with his raw talent, Viviano’s ability to put his struggles in the rearview mirror and forge ahead made the decision a no-brainer for Murphy.

Furthermore, to Murphy and his staff, character and resiliency are two of the most important components of success on and off the field. In interviews they express the feeling that Viviano epitomizes both of those virtues.

During the recruitment process, Murphy would call Viviano each and every Sunday morning. Those phone calls only served to confirm Murphy’s favorable opinion of the standout Conestoga High School quarterback’s game.

“He was...that rare, really big quarterback that was an exceptional dual-threat athlete,” Murphy said. “He had not only the ability to do all the things you ask of your quarterback, but he also had that improvisational ability.”

Just as much as Murphy was enamored with Viviano’s physical ability and skill set, Viviano was impressed with the program Murphy had created and the legacy he had produced for himself in Cambridge.

“He was a huge influence in where I went to school,” Viviano said. “He was very open in the recruiting process. There were a lot of good things about the program.”

From the end of his high school career to the start of his first season in the driver’s seat of the Crimson offense, Viviano had not taken many snaps in game action or in practice. Despite throwing for 290 yards and three touchdowns in last Friday’s matchup against Rhode Island, projecting his performance over the rest of the Crimson’s more challenging slate is near impossible.

He is as much of an unknown commodity as is possible for a senior. Viviano, however, seems unfazed by the pressures inherent in his role.

“It feels great to finally just be out there playing,” Viviano said. “I’ve waited a long time for it. Obviously there’s been a bunch of setbacks, a bunch of adversity in between, but it was good to finally be out there playing with the guys.”

Only time will tell whether Joe Viviano will be able to lead Harvard to a fourth straight Ivy League title, but Murphy has already given a ringing endorsement of his newest field general.

“He’s going to be a good player in our league,” Murphy said. “I’m absolutely certain of that.”

—Staff writer Jack Stockless can be reached at jackstockless@college.harvard.edu.

FootballSports Features