Men's Diving Dominates Denver, Utah

By Sam O.M. Christenfeld, Crimson Staff Writer

The No. 23 Harvard men’s swimming and diving team split up its roster this week, sending a contingent of divers to face a pair of non-conference opponents for two diving-only meets.

The Crimson (6-0, 3-0 Ivy) squared off against Utah (4-4) in Salt Lake City on Tuesday before taking on No. 23 Denver (5-4) in the El Pomar Natatorium. Harvard came away with decisive wins against both opponents, taking nine of the possible 12 podium spots and winning all but one event.

The Crimson’s efforts against Utah were highlighted by a win in the three-meter dive by junior David Pfeiffer. The Merrimack, N.H. native racked up 303.83 points, beating out Utes sophomore Daniel Theriault in second and junior Bobby Ross in third place.

It was Ross who would take top marks against Denver, however, as the junior finished first in both the one and three-meter events against the Pioneers. Ross edged out second-place Pfeiffer by less than half a point for the win in the one-meter dive, with senior Manasseh Oso rounding out the podium in third.

Ross posted a more decisive margin of victory on the three-meter board, totaling 298.58 points, while Pfeiffer finished in second with 287. 63 points to complete the Harvard sweep.

The only event in which the Crimson did not claim victory between the two meets was the one-meter dive against Utah. Utes senior Josiah Purss took the top spot with 310.35 points, with Ross 24 points back in second and Pfeiffer not far behind in third place.

The Harvard divers will rejoin the swimming portion of the team next week as the Crimson returns to Ivy League action against Penn and Brown.

—Staff writer Sam O.M. Christenfeld can be reached at schristenfeld@college.harvard.edu.

Men's Swimming