‘It’s a Limbo’: Grad Students, Frustrated by Harvard’s Response to Bullying Complaint, Petition for Reform

Community Groups Promote Vaccine Awareness Among Cambridge Residents of Color

Students Celebrate Upcoming Harvard-Yale Game at CEB Spirit Week

Harvard Epidemiologist Michael Mina Resigns, Appointed Chief Science Officer at eMed

Harvard Likely to Loosen Campus Covid Restrictions in the Spring, Garber Says

In 'Heartbreaking' Loss, First Year Law Student Dies

By Jamie D. Halper, Crimson Staff Writer

Will Zhang, a first year Harvard Law School student, died Thursday, according to an email from Law School Dean Martha L. Minow.

At press time, the cause of death was unknown. Elizabeth Vlock, a spokesperson for the Middlesex County District Attorney’s Office, said the death “is not considered suspicious.” Minow wrote in her email that the “circumstances of Will’s death have not been fully determined.”

“This is an exceptionally difficult time for those who knew Will, especially his family and friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with each of them,” Minow wrote. “I ask that you each offer comfort to those around you who may be grieving or in distress and need a shoulder to lean on.”

According Zhang’s LinkedIn profile, he graduated from the University of Toronto in 2016. Zhang was a member of the Asian Pacific American Law Students Association at the Law School, according to the organization’s co-presidents Amanda Chan and Kevin W. Jiang.

More than 50 people attended a session the Dean of Students’ Office held for students to reflect on the news. Additionally, Minow’s email provided a number of resources for student coping with grief. Minow wrote that the school would be looking for ways to commemorate Zhang.

“This is a time for each of us to cherish our community and to offer caring and consolation,” Minow wrote.

—Staff writer Jamie D. Halper can be reached at jamie.halper@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @JamieDHalper.

Harvard Law School