Faust and Walsh Present Allston Awards at Ed Portal

University President Drew G. Faust and Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh award funding for the 9th Annual Harvard Allston Partnership in an effort to support Allston-Brighton residents.
University President Drew G. Faust and Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh award funding for the 9th Annual Harvard Allston Partnership in an effort to support Allston-Brighton residents. By Matthew W DeShaw
By Leah S. Yared, Crimson Staff Writer

University President Drew G. Faust joined Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh at the Ed Portal Wednesday evening to present the Harvard Allston Partnership Fund Awards.

The event, which is in its ninth year, supports nonprofit organizations that provide resources and services to Allston-Brighton residents. This year, thirteen local organizations received grant awards totaling $100,000.

“The thirteen non-profit organizations we recognize and celebrate today don’t just help individuals grow—they help individuals grow into citizens, into neighbors, into a community,” Faust said at the event. “We are proud to welcome them as partners in the effort to bring more opportunities to more people throughout our community.”

The program—which was created by the University and the City of Boston—has given a total of $900,000 in grants to 25 local non-profits.

"The Harvard Allston Partnership Fund is a great example of a public-private partnership that is making a real difference in people's lives," Walsh said, adding that the fund has helped support 4,000 Allston-Brighton residents.

Some of the organizations receiving funds include the Allston Brighton Youth Hockey Association, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay, The Literacy Connection, Boston Boxing and Fitness, and Oak Square YMCA.

Founded in 2008, the Ed Portal is a community outreach center that provides free mentoring and classes for Allston residents.

—Staff writer Leah S. Yared can be reached at leah.yared@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @Leah_Yared.

Central AdministrationAllstonBostonDrew Faust