Five Alumni Elected to Overseers

By Leah S. Yared, Crimson Staff Writer

Five alumni have been elected to the Board of Overseers, the University’s second-highest governing body: Paul L. Choi ’86, Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar ’93, Carla Harris ’84, Leslie P. Tolbert ’73, and Darienne B. Driver, an alumna of the School of Education.

More than 27,000 alumni cast ballots to select the new Overseers out of eight candidates, the University announced Friday. The Overseers work with the Corporation—the Harvard’s highest governing body—to advise University leaders, review departments and schools, and approve major Corporate decisions, including the appointment of University presidents.

The newly elected Overseers come from a wide range of backgrounds, including law, education, and finance.

Choi, a former Crimson editor and the former president of the Harvard Alumni Association, is a partner at the law firm Sidley Austin LLP. Harris is the Vice Chair of Global Wealth Management and a Managing Director at Morgan Stanley. Driver is the superintendent of Milwaukee Public Schools, Cuéllar a justice in the Supreme Court of California, and Tolbert a neuroscience professor at the University of Arizona.

The Board is comprised of 30 Harvard alumni and affiliates who advise University leaders and approve decisions made by the Harvard Corporation. Alumni elect Overseers to six-year terms on the body.

Earlier this month, Scott A. Abell ’72 and Tracy P. Palandjian ’93 were selected to lead the Board next year as president and vice chair of the executive committee.

Alumni also cast ballots to select six Elected Directors of the Harvard Alumni Association, who will serve three-year terms: Martha A. Genieser ’91, Sangu J. Delle ’10, Sachin H. Jain ’02, Elena H. Kiam ’85, Ronald P. Mitchell ’92, and Paola A. P. Friedrich.

.

AlumniUniversityUniversity NewsBoard of Overseers